Will a 265 husky thining saw work for a bike?

GoldenMotor.com

Contraband

Sep 2, 2008
New Brunswick
Hi all i'm new to this and I was wondering if a 265 husquavarna thining saw motor will work for a bike.
It is 65 cc and bolts to a tower with a shaft in. I have a saw that is broken and thought i could cut the tower apart so the shaft was expsed and i could attach a spocket to it and go from there.

The shaft has a clutch drum on it so the spocket will not turn until motor is reving.

So does any 1 have any ideas? i'm sure 65 cc is enough power.

this is what i am using and plan on cutting the tower out about 2-3" from the the motor. so the shaft will be exposed

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have no idea about that saw but it should be usable in some form as a bike engine most anything that can run horizontal can be used. My advice is to go slowly disassembling the saw shaft ect.

65cc is way plenty its as much as any of the china bike kits. Let us know what you find when you start taking it apart.

Contraband

Sep 2, 2008
New Brunswick
I have no idea about that saw but it should be usable in some form as a bike engine most anything that can run horizontal can be used. My advice is to go slowly disassembling the saw shaft ect.

65cc is way plenty its as much as any of the china bike kits. Let us know what you find when you start taking it apart.
I know what it looks like apart, I use them saws for a living and they are set up pretty simple.
Last night I cut tower off and left the shaft stick out 4" to give me plenty to work with and will cut it off after I figure out how i'm going to set it up.

and can any1 tell me if this is a good idea? I want to put the motor behind me and have it mounted on a plate and put a hinge on it so i can adjust it up and down, and also have the motor mounts in slots so i can use the back spocket off of a 18 speed mountain bike and i can manualy adjut my gear ratio according to the driving i'm doing

I will post pics later of what i have for a motor and sprocket, this is just gonna be a quick build once i start into it, because i have a few more motors to put to use so this winter i can make a nice 1 and fix all my mistakes from this 1

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I think that thing is going to work great- 65cc is more than enough and the thinning/trimming saws should have more torque than a weedwacker.

what are your gear ratios? I'm wondering if you'll need a jack shaft to make it work well...

Does it have a clutch? If so is it more robust than the clutch on a weedwacker? Those things are junk.

I can't wait to see pics and find out how it works!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I don't anything about gears ect, but it sounds like a good engine. I'm with shoes I'm dying to see it and know how it works.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
I know what it looks like apart, I use them saws for a living and they are set up pretty simple.
Last night I cut tower off and left the shaft stick out 4" to give me plenty to work with and will cut it off after I figure out how i'm going to set it up.

and can any1 tell me if this is a good idea? I want to put the motor behind me and have it mounted on a plate and put a hinge on it so i can adjust it up and down, and also have the motor mounts in slots so i can use the back spocket off of a 18 speed mountain bike and i can manualy adjut my gear ratio according to the driving i'm doing

I will post pics later of what i have for a motor and sprocket, this is just gonna be a quick build once i start into it, because i have a few more motors to put to use so this winter i can make a nice 1 and fix all my mistakes from this 1
Do you plan on using the shifter from teh bike to shift the engine?

sickbikeparts.com has a jackshaft kit for the chengines that you can do that with. I'm interested in this. I'm thinking my next project will be a weedeater engine with a jackshaft. Should be fun to use all the bikes gears to get around town.