Wheel problems V4

Discussion in 'Wheels, Brakes and Suspension' started by Cylon, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Cylon

Cylon Member

Hey all so I've posted here 3-4 times regarding the problems I keep having with wheels. I'm on my 4th rear wheel and 2nd hub adapter. First 3 times with with my original 1' adapter it kept moving and snapping spokes. I filed it down to let there be a gap and it still ended up moving even after I got it very tight. I also measured the hubs with a caliper of the past 4 wheels and they have all been 1'.

So this last wheel I had I used a new adapter and a 40t sprocket rather then my old 41t. I filed this one down to so it was sung, I also used friction tape as a shim since the past 3 rims failed when it was just metal on metal with lots of force. I even used a 3 foot breaker bar on the adapter to tighten the bolt as tight as they could ever be.

I went for a ride tonight and it look like it slightly moved backwards and it pulled out 2 spokes. I don't understand what to do other then going back to a rag joint. I don't even know that heavy duty wheel with bigger spokes would hold up. I don't really want to use JB weld either.... I cant stress enough how tight I made that adapter! I went out and bought snap on Allen wrenches so I could get it super tight without stripping the cheap Allen wrenches. I cant be the only person with these bike with the problem happening over and over again.

Really looking for help.

2. Cylon

Cylon Member

3. ZipTie

ZipTie Member

-Hey Cylon, Those molded aluim wheels work well as they have sealed bearings and are super strong and true However... They are not cheap either. I am trying to use them now and bought a 6 hole 44 t sprocket that was supposed to fit that hub side and it does bolt on directly but not really well as the hole is too small in the center and leaves a gap that will shear the sprocket off in time...ughhhh. So now I have to machine out the center hole on the sprocket, so it fits over the raised ring on the hub side. But I am worried about chain alignment when I finish the build. The hub adapters are nice as you have a 1/2" fore and aft adjustment for perfect chain alignment. It never ends with wheels sometimes.
    -Another option for HD wheels is to buy a Huffy Cranbrook for 88.00 bucks from wally world just to get the wheels as they have heavy duty 12g spokes and steel rims. They use a 1.5 hub so you would need a new hub adapter as they sell them separately. The 1.5" hubs give more surface area to grip the hub also. I've never had slippage or a broken spoke... ever on huffy wheels using a hub adapter.
    -I am in the early stage of building a welded tank Board tracker now and I ordered a girls Huffy bike with the correct color wheels I needed once again. I just to take the good wheels off it. Then I sell the frame for 60.00 to a local guy and the HD wheel set costs me only 28.00 bucks! Way cheaper than buying just wheels, makes no sense. Me likes 12 gauge spokes!
    -you could also fix the broken spokes and use coke can shims to get more grip and take a center punch and hammer in a ton of dimples in the hub adapter surface to rough up the surface a bit for better grip. Its also possible your hub adapter bolts are bottoming out and not tightening all the way. I remember I had this problem on a cheaper knock off adapter, remove a 1/8" off the two hub adapter bolts?

#3 ZipTie, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  4. ZipTie

ZipTie Member

Here is the problem I am having with the aluim mag wheels. You can see the gap caused by the raised section on the mag wheels. The gap is supported by a thin raised ring.

Attached Files:

5. ZipTie

ZipTie Member

Oh, i forgot to add...friction tape or any tape has slimy goo adhesive that is sure to add more slippage into the factor.

6. TheNecromancer13

Just take a piece of metal and drill some holes in it to make a spacer.

7. TheNecromancer13

8. ZipTie

ZipTie Member

Ill probably have to do that as I checked tonight and I need that gap for chain alignment...HM Yep a shim is in order.

9. Cylon

Cylon Member

Zip you could always just use washers. Simple and quick. I cant wait to get these rims gonna be awhile tho because snow falls soon..