Wheel Bearings?

GoldenMotor.com

odds10to1

Aug 20, 2008
North Carolina
www.odds10to1.com
What would you guys suggest for a very low, strict, limited income. In ways of wheel axels or bearings? I have already had to buy a back wheel once. It now feels like it may be going also. Thank You all very, Very much.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Take the wheel apart and fill it with red high temp wheel bearing grease and stay out of the bumps and holes. Your wheel will love you for it.

odds10to1

Aug 20, 2008
North Carolina
www.odds10to1.com
Thank You Bikeguy Joe, the last wheel I had I filled it with axel grease. Grease for 18 wheelers. But it didn't seem to help. I need to get miles, (MILES) out of it. This replacement wheel seems to be a better wheel. But sometimes it feels as if it is grinding also. I would love to have something like an axel with prepacked bearings or something like that. Thank You again.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I consume wheels .
The roads in BHC AZ are so bad.
Yard sales I usually buy the entire bike for around $5.00.
And just swap my No more flats and tires on to the rims after re greasing the wheel bearings.

I also fill the hub with grease LOL

odds10to1

Aug 20, 2008
North Carolina
www.odds10to1.com
I consume wheels .
The roads in BHC AZ are so bad.
Yard sales I usually buy the entire bike for around $5.00.
And just swap my No more flats and tires on to the rims after re greasing the wheel bearings.

I also fill the hub with grease LOL
Thanks spad4me, I yard sale it a lot. Bicycles here in the part of NC I live have turned into mopeds and scooters. Seldom see a bicycle for sale anymore. People just throw them away or sell for scrap metal.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I have ridden 750 miles without needing to repack or adjust...I sold the bike after that. I have 500 on another with no probs (sold) and the one I "borrow" once in awhile has around 300 with no issues. Cone adjustment is crucial and touchy.

Sky High

Aug 28, 2008
Virginia
I have a Schwinn & the rear wheel bearing RETAINER on the engine sprocket side failed after maybe 50 miles. I know someone in Fla. that has had that problem with a few Schwinns. I took the wheel apart & threw the bearing retainer away & put in about six or so more bearings ( to fill in the space where the retainer was) that I matched up at the local bike shop. Repacked with White Lithium Grease and they seem to be alright now.

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
I have a Schwinn & the rear wheel bearing RETAINER on the engine sprocket side failed after maybe 50 miles. I know someone in Fla. that has had that problem with a few Schwinns. I took the wheel apart & threw the bearing retainer away & put in about six or so more bearings ( to fill in the space where the retainer was) that I matched up at the local bike shop. Repacked with White Lithium Grease and they seem to be alright now.
Thats what I did and over 100 miles and no problems yet. I think the retainer was the weak link and the extra bearings provide more support....

odds10to1

Aug 20, 2008
North Carolina
www.odds10to1.com
Thank You 'Sky High', I never thought about that. I just bought a new wheel. I did notice in the old wheel, there were lots of extra space between the ball bearings. I should have bought more balls and placed in there to take up the space. I know now.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Yea I tear up rear rims pretty bad. So far MOOP2 has held up. It's the original coaster. Something needs to be said about old quality for this puppy has regular sized spokes and both front and rear as straight as an arrow with patina to boot.
MOOP1 no kidding. FOUR rims from salvage bikes. One rim I found on the side of the trail.
Cronus I thought I would buy a rim from the bike shop. 30 bucks for a coaster and I converted to a free wheel and a smaller rear sprocket.
Yesterday I notice it's starting to warp a bit.
I really REALLY want a wheelmaster wheel or equivalent for the back and a matching one with a drum brake up front. But it's $$.
But the $$ I saved on gas surpassed the $$ it cost to get this. And I depend on Cronus daily.
Maybe if our economy gets better.
I want to win the lotto.
I need 10 more MB's.

odds10to1

Aug 20, 2008
North Carolina
www.odds10to1.com
Thank You 'Large Filipino', I to are ruff on wheels. Do you have a link for the 'MOOP2'? That sounds like what I might need. I sure do understand about the $$$'s. I'd love to hit just a part of the lottery. Also what is a 'free wheel'? Like the front wheel? I'm sorry, but I'm not up on machanic, or bicycles. I'm a used to be painter. I know paint. Have a great safe ride.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
That's the name of my bike! I was talking about my newspaper bike made at an unknown year. It's probably 70's made by montgomery ward but apparently still made in the USA at the time. And that back rim has held even though it doesn't appear to be heavy duty.
I do find for some reason that the coaster rims you may find salvaging around are actually a bit stronger than the multi speed rims and that's just with my experience because multi speed rims tend to be on the light side.
Also to buy it's cheaper to get a coaster wheel than a multi geared rim and I convert it to freewheel.

Here's a link to my bikes:

http://motorbicycling.com/f15/large-filipinos-bikes-2665.html

Last edited:

odds10to1

Aug 20, 2008
North Carolina
www.odds10to1.com
Thank You 'Large Filipino', that says how much I know, LOL. I saw the photos you posted, nice. It's kinda hard to salvage anything around here. About the time you put something out at the street, the trash man comes along and hauls it away.

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
I have had the same problem with wheel bearings. New schwinn bike, but from walmart. The schwinn dealer said the bearing on thoses bikes are built for kids and are junk. I changed them out using lose bearings and seemed to work alot better. Do both sides, I did one at a time and walked home twice. So far I am replacing everything on that bike one part at a time. Fender bracket broke, pedel broke, front wheel was so un-true"my fault for not correcting soon enough" replaced. Next time I will look for an old well built bike to begin with. This one looked strong but cheap hubs and parts, but hey, it was $99.00 new. Good luck with your wheels

Sky High

Aug 28, 2008
Virginia
Yes , I have a K-Mart Schwinn and I was lucky that the rear wheel bearing retainer broke just as I was leaving my driveway. I took ALL three bearing retainers out of the rear wheel and it seems to roll alot smoother now. I`ve been looking on E-bay for an old what they call " Camel Back" Schwinn bicycle frame made outa real American steel in Chicago. I will order the Workman Industrial or Husky bicycle wheels and just build the motorized bicycle the way I want it. I have not decided on what type of front suspension forks to use yet, any suggestions? I think I will also go with the front drum and rear coaster brakes.

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
I used a springer front end, which will work with drum or disc brakes, but will not work with V-brakes and pads because the wheel moves in the forks. I was able to add disc "Gatorbrake" I found for $19.00 had to do a custom mount and use a mountain bike front wheel, but love the results.

Gatorbrake Mechanical Disc Brakes at Price Point

I built the gas tank from a 55gal drum and a brass freeze plug.

Made a spring seat mount from a leaf spring, Works great. Here are pics of progress.

Photo Albums: Bike Pics - Contents

It is all a bit heavy, but I am going for that old Indian look.