What's the real reason for Chain Tensioners

GoldenMotor.com

leftywoody

Aug 23, 2008
Lagrange Indiana
Some important reasons for tensioners are, The enjoyment you get from knowing that something besides the wheels and tires are spinning at various speeds , and it looks mechanically appealing to the eye .
Also , .mbv.tensioners may even give the impression that your bike is exremely high tech , and you are a person of stature .

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
Did some modification on my stock chain guide. I did some mill work and belt-sander work on the bracket and drilled for a cross screw (remember, the area you are putting a 1/32" hole into is going to be totally captivated by 1/8" plates and two 5/16" bolts depending on the kit).

Made an aluminum pulley and pressed the bearing into it. It took a little bracket fine tuning to put it dead in line but I have it dialed in now as witnessed by two light gray centered tracks.

The bigger pulley has a much kinder radius on the chain path and spins at a nice roll.

I spent a morning working with chain lengths and half links but all variations put my wheel in a poor position in the drop outs. I was able to get both chains set about right with the wheel pulled full back but really needed to take out just a bit of slack in the drive chain and keep it from slapping the fender. Sorry I don't have any good stories, hope not to.

Attachments

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
I've actually got a story. It's not funny (at least for me) and was probably the worst experience I've had with these bikes so far.

So....Once day I was riding my Huffy Crankbook to the bike shop. The whole assembly process was complete (sprocket, engine...everything) except for the chain. I did not have the right size chain tool at the time and didn't know what else to do. So I rode this heavy gear-less bike 7 miles to my bike shop. After about 45 minutes or so I get there. I mark the chain to where I need it, take it into the shop and get it cut down to size. I then proceed to install the chain for the first time on my bike. It's perfect and I do a last minute check of everything before my first start in the shops parking lot. What I failed to realize is that the damn idler wheel was not on there tight enough and I didn't think of wrapping inner tubbing before mounting it. So I get the bike up to speed, pop the clutch, and vrooooommmm!!!! First thing that went wrong was the throttle. I hadn't lubed up the needle so it was stuck and with the engine racing I went flying from one end of the parking lot to the other in the blink of an eye. This being my first time riding a MB so I didn't think to pull the clutch and I had no lever pull brakes! So I make a sharp turn and just barely dodge the curb only to be shot into the middle of the street. So there I am panicking thinking I'm going to get hit by a car on a bike I can't control. But all of a sudden I hear a noise. SNAP!!! The rear wheel locks up completely, stalls the engine and brings me to a complete stop in the middle of the street. I quickly lift of the back wheel and run back onto the side walk. Once there I look down and the idler wheel bent into the spooks Snapping 5 right off and had 3 partially broken off hanging off the side of the wheel. Shocked, angry and very tired I drop the bike and start the "cuss fest." After 15 minutes of calming down I call my friend who brings his truck and drives me back home. After that I stripped the engine off the bike and took the bike back to Walmart. After another 2 months I went out and bought my self a Schwinn Riverside. All is good now. Got 350 miles and counting on my new bike. I know the idler wheel ruined this perfectly good bike but I was actually glad I had it then. I don't know what would have happened if it didn't bend into the spokes.