What's the black box for?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by brucemg51, Oct 21, 2008.

1. brucemg51

brucemg51 New Member

It occurred to me while mowing the lawn that the motorbike has an extra part that my lawnmower doesn't. On the single cylinder Briggs & Stratton mower engine, the spark plug wire goes directly from the magneto to the spark plug. Whenever the mag makes a revolution, it induces a spark to the plug. Why do these MB kits have a CDI ignition unit? Is it really necessary for a single cylinder engine? Is it because the lawnmower engine is four stroke rather than two?

2. Nomad

Nomad New Member

yeah!! I'd like to know that too... maybe the lawnmower has an "internal" CDI..

3. Caus-I-Can

Caus-I-Can New Member

i think this is correct dont quote me but a magnetos spark is regulated by the fly wheel so its only option in incresing spark regulation is by increasing speed of motor by of course adding more fuel - hopefully u understand what i mean -

where as a cdi regulates voltage/ and speed of spark thus working in conjuction with fuel increase to deliver an all over performance improvement--

p.s. "WARNING' it is very very late were i am so i could be just raving

IF I'M WRONG PLEASE SOMEONE CORRECT ME SO I GET IT RITE

peace!!!

4. Bikeguy Joe

Bikeguy Joe Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Yes, you are raving....

The mower does have a cdi or points/condenser set up. It's just not open to the eye like a bike engine.

The cdi on these bikes doesn't change spark timing, intensity, duration or anything else.

5. Caus-I-Can

Caus-I-Can New Member

So what is the differnece and for what reasons

6. Bikeguy Joe

Bikeguy Joe Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

Points are mechanical, CDI does the same thing electronicly.

7. brucemg51

brucemg51 New Member

Yes, now I think I remember seeing that the spark plug on mower engine is connected to a coil.