What current Walmart/Target bikes to use with 79cc kit?

GoldenMotor.com

TXepikat

Jul 16, 2018
Im working on my first bike project and so far have purchased a 4stroke 79cc kit and now am looking for a good bike to start with. I live near both Walmart and Target so that’s where I’ll probably purchase a bike. Any recommendations on a good bike model to start with? I’m sure I’ll have to buy more parts to make the kit work or to replace cheap parts included. I’m starting with this kit to get familiar with motorized bikes in general. I’m 50 now and just want to do something fun for myself.

Willis617

Jul 20, 2018
Last year i bought a huffy cranbrook at walmart for $40 and am near completion of my first build, 79cc also. I am not a bike guy and being my first mb i have nothing to compare it to, i think frame, rims, spokes are good, front hub is usable, i will replace rear hub soon as i don't think it's very good. However there is room for a 79cc predator. The absence of any brakes other than coaster has to be delt with, i will be adding front disc, and maybe a jack shaft brake for rear.

I was at walmart this week and it appeared that the cranbrooks currently on the floor had a new frame geometry, seat tube has a rearward bend, a few inches above bottom bracket, which should have more room for engine, seat tube on mine is straight. Tube diameters looked bigger than my cranbrook also. What you will find on the mb forums regarding box store bikes is some people love them and some hate them.

I haven't seem one, but the Columbia Klunker looks like a good platform, however I'm not sure a 79cc 4 stroke will fit, or that component qaulity is any better.

I am planning my second build, and will use either a Columbia Klunker, or Felt Bixby.

Here is a question for more experienced than i, how much $ has to be spent on a bike to get good components that you will use with confidence? Give an example of this bike.

Attachments

Reactions: TXepikat

TXepikat

Jul 16, 2018
I like the Schwinn Midway but the lower bar seems to get in the way, has anyone cut the bar and modified it to fit a motor in there? I’m not sure about the other components as I too am new to the motorized bike thing. I’m very excited about doing one and can’t wait to dive in. Thanks

TXepikat

Jul 16, 2018
Last year i bought a huffy cranbrook at walmart for $40 and am near completion of my first build, 79cc also. I am not a bike guy and being my first mb i have nothing to compare it to, i think frame, rims, spokes are good, front hub is usable, i will replace rear hub soon as i don't think it's very good. However there is room for a 79cc predator. The absence of any brakes other than coaster has to be delt with, i will be adding front disc, and maybe a jack shaft brake for rear.

I was at walmart this week and it appeared that the cranbrooks currently on the floor had a new frame geometry, seat tube has a rearward bend, a few inches above bottom bracket, which should have more room for engine, seat tube on mine is straight. Tube diameters looked bigger than my cranbrook also. What you will find on the mb forums regarding box store bikes is some people love them and some hate them.

I haven't seem one, but the Columbia Klunker looks like a good platform, however I'm not sure a 79cc 4 stroke will fit, or that component qaulity is any better.

I am planning my second build, and will use either a Columbia Klunker, or Felt Bixby.

Here is a question for more experienced than i, how much $ has to be spent on a bike to get good components that you will use with confidence? Give an example of this bike.

I like the way you fit that engine in there, nice and neat. What mount did you use? What clutch system did you use?

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
I like the Schwinn Midway but the lower bar seems to get in the way, has anyone cut the bar and modified it to fit a motor in there? I’m not sure about the other components as I too am new to the motorized bike thing. I’m very excited about doing one and can’t wait to dive in. Thanks
I'm a bike assembler at walmart. The schwinn midway is a horrible bike. The wheels are always bent, the brakes are mushy and don't work well, the rear derailluer has a tendecy to jump into the spokes, the goosenecks are often welded off-center, and they get returned often by customers for their poor quality.

I was changing a tube on a rear wheel without using tire levers, and while putting the tire back on the rim, I had my foot on the hub to provide leverage to pull the bead of the tire on, and taco-d the wheel with only slight pressure.

I wouldn't recommend that bike to anyone, for anything except as a boat anchor.

And, I won't recommend any walmart bike, either, just because I deal with them on a daily basis and don't have anything good to say about any of them.

TXepikat

Jul 16, 2018
Ok, thanks for the tip. I guess I’m gonna just wait and find a good frame online and work from there

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
If you are close to the DFW the Craigslist is a good place to look. The pawnshops usually have the newer bikes, the same ones that come from Walmart or the high dollar bikes. I found one a while back, an old Western Flyer bike on Craig's for a real good price. Garage sales and flea markets are another place to look, but remember, some of the sellers think they are collectible and expect too much money for their stuff.

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
Open your local Craigslist Bicycles for sale by owner, keep your monitor close and be on the lookout for any entry to mid level late 1980's to early 1990's MTB bikes.