Welding tips and painting help?

GoldenMotor.com

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
I built my bike at first and have similar briggs and had 8:1 and yes the clutch will burn.

I had to have more reduction. 12:1 and it goes. 20:1 and riding hills in the woods this is even better.

Well really first bike long ago 24 inch frame I had something like 5:1 ratio direct drive (no clutch) and that can work, but it chuggs to get going. I hear that is also when starting out chugging doing carbonation faster of the head. Still it was fun and in the woods took a 70 foot run up to a hill for jumping a little. Somehow I didn't kill myself. Now I wear full motorcross protection besides helmet.

Yeah that's why I should have went direct drive.
Now I'm no genius in gearing, but if a clutch is a problem I can now(weld in) a tensioners system and up pulley ratio on the drive end enough to match what comes out.

The problem isn't to me limitation by clutch

if it burns up I'll trash that idea if I can....
the true problem is figuring out how to get the top speed at 30 mph the idea of a manual tensioned pulley

If I'm assisting it by pedaling what's wrong with just upping the drive pulley to a manual instead of letting it chug add in a kill switch so it cuts the flow of power to the engine resulting in auto braking to slow it's self down?

To me it's like having a single chain ring without extra gears.....

Ideally if its a single speed....

You reached the Max pedal ratio before it can go no faster until the pedal sprocket is upped in tooth range which puts more struggle to reach a bigger top speed.

I have 2 clutches anyway really depends on the route.
If I swap the rims with non internal shift hubs I can fit a proper motorized bicycle sprocket chain drive on a flip flop hub.

If I stay with internal shift this sheave will have to be geared to match what the sheave can put out on a clutch.

If I go manual direct drive there are more open options just depends on how hard one wants to work to get rolling....

No idea is a failure some of you guys took 3 years of failure to become a 30 year succession vet in the mb game.

If ones crazy enough to build it, one will ride it.

Let's also not forget that without a motor shimano already gave me a too small gear ratio with a tiny behind front sprocket.

My pedal top speed is not any better
I need a bigger chain ring that makes first gear feel like second which in turn will make the final shift lower but require more feet to the ground propulsion.

So if we eliminate the clutch what size direct drive pulley will I need to do 30mph without touching the wheel sheave,?

Last edited:

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
So I made a mistake. Apparently the welders at HF are not part of the sale. I bought the mig 180 but the dial for power is actually a clicker dial with 6 settings. So 10 more amps, 4 more amps power draw and 2 more power settings than the 170 for $55 more dollars. I returned it and got the mig 170 that I know really well. Most welding on the bike is done at max-2 and thin stuff at min-2 to prevent blowing through.

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
So I made a mistake. Apparently the welders at HF are not part of the sale. I bought the mig 180 but the dial for power is actually a clicker dial with 6 settings. So 10 more amps, 4 more amps power draw and 2 more power settings than the 170 for $55 more dollars. I returned it and got the mig 170 that I know really well. Most welding on the bike is done at max-2 and thin stuff at min-2 to prevent blowing through.

Yeah I've been told the steel this thick has to be tacked together cause it's so thin.