vintage engine build

GoldenMotor.com

Tom TG

Dec 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Whamo Here is a picture of the rear swing arm it is bent to a radius of 2 inches with out deforming it took a little heat. Tom

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Just Talked to my Buddy Dan(Taylar Motor Bikes) and he said 26 degrees off level of back bone,He also said to give him a call at (661) 341-0192 he likes your build and he'd give you some advice on your build.

Last edited:

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
Truckd the head is set at 70 degrees. This is my first bike build and I am just using pictures off the net as a reference. I have see some that are 60 degrees and they start to look like choppers to me. If I am making a mistake with this please speak up. I live in Oklahoma.
It's hard to tell from the picture but I think your head tube angle will be fine. Since you have a trailing-link fork set up, you can get away with a pretty steep H.T.A. If you haven't seen this already, this is how to determine your trail. There's no magic number because wheelbase also plays into how the bike will handle but from what I've read most people shoot for +2" to +5" of trail. Hope this helps.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I was told that 4" is the optimal number to shoot for less rake shorter steering range,longer rake more sensitive(touchy) medium is what is desired and at a high of speed (30+) a limited or wierd steering range could result in a catostrophic mishap.
I was told to pass this info on to add to what you might have already aquired.
www.carbidedepot.com then find the catagory for Rake&Trail Calculator.
Something to do a little R & D on for a bike of that magitude and calabur, you have an Great Deal in talent,don't over look the small details.
By the way, about what do you believe the HP rating would be on that Monster engine?

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I just visited the web site suggested and did not find the recommendation on rake & trail I'll have to get back to you on that I might have written it down wrong, navigation on web sites is not one of my strength's(LOL!)

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
I was told that 4" is the optimal number to shoot for less rake shorter steering range,longer rake more sensitive(touchy) medium is what is desired and at a high of speed (30+) a limited or wierd steering range could result in a catostrophic mishap.
I was told to pass this info on to add to what you might have already aquired.
www.carbidedepot.com then find the catagory for Rake&Trail Calculator.
Something to do a little R & D on for a bike of that magitude and calabur, you have an Great Deal in talent,don't over look the small details.
By the way, about what do you believe the HP rating would be on that Monster engine?
Rake is one of the factors to take into account when determining trail, rake is the forward offset in the fork itself, typically the more rake you have, the more you need to lean back the head tube to get the correct amount of trail. His fork has very little rake, (maybe even none) so he can get away with a steep head tube and still have plenty of trail.

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
Also don't rely on on-line calculators the best way to measure is with some string and a tape measure, one line through the centerline of your head tube and one line straight down through your front axle, the trail is measured between where both lines touch level ground.

Whamo

Apr 14, 2013
Charlottesville, VA
Well, if nothing else the discussion on trail and rake led me to some wikipedia articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_and_motorcycle_geometry

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_frame

which are helpful.

So it looks like on trail there is such a thing as too much and too little. As in many things in life, moderation is the key for the best handling. It would be interesting to build a variable angle head tube and try out different trail values at different speeds. If I ever do a production run of the same frame over and over I'll try to figure that out.

JohnThomas Sorrels

Dec 28, 2011
Ramona/ San Diego
So it looks like on trail there is such a thing as too much and too little. As in many things in life, moderation is the key for the best handling. It would be interesting to build a variable angle head tube and try out different trail values at different speeds. If I ever do a production run of the same frame over and over I'll try to figure that out.
Very true, too little trail is probably more dangerous though, you can enter an uncontrollable death wobble at speed. With too much trail it would just be harder to turn but very easy to ride with no hands.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Have we given any fuel for thought Tom? thats why I like this forum,our members are a wealth of info! infact when I start selling my stock (bikes) I'm going to recommend this site for knowledge as to what they'll have and how to maintain it as well as build or modify it.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I built a metal lathe with a file and a drill press so don't let the lack of tools stop you.
Awesome Tom. Thats just cool.

Was thinking a supporting coller could easily be fashioned to support the chuck & bearings on a drill press to make a mini-mill....

But wow@ your lathe. That should be an "indestructible".

Some amazing work all around

Tom TG

Dec 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Thanks guys lot of good info.

Truckd thanks for the contact no. and the rake info. your right about this forum being a place with a wealth of knowledge.

John the picture really simplifies things . I just checked my bike and I have 3.5inches of trail. From looking at the info. you guy posted I may have hit the sweet spot dead on. Thanks again Tom

Tom TG

Dec 10, 2012
Oklahoma
I have started working on the rear springs and bracket. I looked on the net for some good pictures as a reference but found very little and looking on this site it seams like I my be one of the few to try this. I am using 1.25 wide buggy springs cut down to fit. Here is a picture or the spring before cutting them to fit and the mounting bracket before I modified it.

and here is a picture of it clamped together .

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
....you beat me to the pic posting, velo :p. But, the indian cradle spring frame has allways been something I've wantedto see replicated. You have amazing tallent, tom!

Ccd

Whamo

Apr 14, 2013
Charlottesville, VA
I've never seen that rear springer fork before, looks like it could be awesome. With that vintage style motor, this bike is going to be hard to tell if it's a century old or not.

I found these pictures in the hunt for more details on that rear springer - you may have seen them already.

Tom TG

Dec 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Guys thanks the pictures that Whamo posted is what I had to go by the picture vlodrome posted is new to me thanks TOM

Tom TG

Dec 10, 2012
Oklahoma
Whamo now that's what I needed two days ago thanks I saved that link and it needs to be added to the blue print thread. Tom