Used Dimension edge kit shift on the fly troubleshooting

GoldenMotor.com

UtiliD

May 11, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
So I bought a used basic Dimension Edge kit with the shift on the fly mechanism. I am mechanically inclined but just learning about bike motor kits. The kit originally came with the aluminum U bracket that attaches to the rear fork or seat post part of the frame. I changed the U bracket to pieces of flat stock 1/8th" thich aluminum on each side & I replaced the cable in the shift on the fly mechanism & its still not doing its job. The only way it seemed like it might work is if I used a pair of pliers & pulled really hard on the inner cable even then I don't understand how it would disengage?
Questions

1. Is this cable supposed to be a brake cable (which is what was on my used kit) or a gear cable?

2. I cannot find and install videos on this kit anywhere & I am usually really good at locating information like this. Where can I find some? Dimension Edges site is useless as far as I'm concerned & would never do business(buy a new kit) from a company that puts so little effort in to their site. Every link leads to an error page.

3. Where the cable attaches to the mount there is the hollow threaded rod that goes through the eye bolt. On the threaded rod there is a washer & 2 nuts. The cable runs through the threaded rod. I used the nuts on the threaded rod to adjust the tension on the cable & it's still not engaging the shift on the fly system. What do I need to do?

4. It seems like the only way this cable might work is if the cable runs a straight shot & the outer sheath & inner cable are both fastened to the lever to be pulled at the same time. They would have to be installed with a lot of tension on both(I'm sure this is not how it's supposed to work.

5. I know the drive rollers are supposed to be easy to change & I got it off but the shafts spins freely & I don't see how I'll get the roller back on tight (how to lock the shaft in position so I can tighten the bolt securing the drive roller).?

Any help would be appreciated. l uploaded some pictures & will upload more when I get a chance. I think my redesign of the mount came out really good & it's a good thing I hoard hardware. I uploaded a picture of a inner threaded sleeve with a hex end. Can someone tell me what it's called? I want to order a bunch in different sizes. I can tell this I going to be a long lasting very involved hobby.

& yes once I get the kit working properly I will be tearing it down & painting & greasing the necessary areas.

Thanks ahead of time for any help.
20180520_181305.jpg
20180520_181327.jpg
20180520_181336.jpg
20180520_181344.jpg
20180521_114026.jpg

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
haven't seen one of these in years - at that time, cable hooked to a large hand lever that was tensioned by a bungee cord

UtiliD

May 11, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
The hand lever has a brake cable attached to it. The outer sheath ends at a piece of threaded rod(the threaded rod is held in place be an eye bolt and a washer & nut on the threaded rod). The inner cable continues through and is attached(fed throug) a spring that hooks to the vertical u bracket. There is a pvc pipe with a notch & spring attached to the piece of the eye bolt leading up to the eye. That notch fits against the vertical u bracket & the spring is supposed counter the other spring at the end of the cable. As I said I can't get the cable to hard enough to activate the shift on the fly mechanism.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
haven't seen one recently - I'd do an image search on google and also look for youtube vids - there may even be a part missing as there used to be a long lever to pull whole mount forward

UtiliD

May 11, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
haven't seen one recently - I'd do an image search on google and also look for youtube vids -
there may even be a part missing as there used to be a long lever to pull whole mount forward
I have scoured the Web YouTube ect & found nothing.

When you say lever do you mean a solid rod? There are 2 mechanisms 1 is the spring that hooks to the vertical U bracket & has the brake cable end threaded through it. The other is a 6" length of PVC pipe that has a notch cut into it & has a spring in it that pushes the mount the opposite way. The PVC pipe is held in there by the shaft of the eye bolt that has the threaded rod that cable goes through.

UtiliD

May 11, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
Gave up on the shift on the fly. Bolted a mechanism that you could manually raise & lower the motor with so you could just pedal and added a spring that went from the housing to the a hole near the drop outs. With me on it 185lbs at the time & a wooden 1.25 roller it would hit 28mph On flat no problem & climed hills easily. Couldn't stand having to kill the motor when I stopped so I sold it. Now working on a Chinese 4 stroke clone rear rack mount chain drive to a fat tire bike & and a 43cc Chinese chainsaw motor rear rack mount V belt drive to a dual suspension top of the line (for this manufacturer anyway) Diamondback mountain bike(disc brakes & quick release everything)

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Your rear rack friction drive build should of had a centrifugal clutch, would of not died when you stop, LOL a little late now though.........Curt

UtiliD

May 11, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
Your rear rack friction drive build should of had a centrifugal clutch, would of not died when you stop, LOL a little late now though.........Curt
Yeah the Dimension Edge kit didn't have a clutch. It had this ridiculous "shift on the fly" mechanism that didn't work I went over it extensively in this post. I'm not a friction drive fan strictly belts & chains(cool band name) from here on out.

UtiliD

May 11, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
Same as me, mostly belt like the old time motorcycles.......Curt
I'm actually developing a new way to install the rear sheath nearly universal but more reliable than GEBE & Whizzer & you won't have to limit your tire size(obviously some bikes have really narrow forks & will be hit or miss but I may have a fix that sometimes solves this as well) I'll keep you updated on my progress.