Trying a better air filter. Any opins?

Discussion in 'Intake & Exhaust' started by JerryAssburger, Apr 16, 2017.

1. JerryAssburger

Hi all. I'm new to the China Doll methodology of powering bicycles, so during my 1st build, it's an extremely-stock budget motor.- my "improvements" are concentrating on it's reliability and longevity. I've ordered the better spark-plug and wire recommended here, a better fuel filter and hose, etc..... one of the things that bugged me was the stock air-filter*.... (it doesn't look too good at keeping filth out of the motor to me.), so I ordered a small aftermarket air filter. Is it going to mess with the carb tune, of am I good to go? Anyone else do something similar? My build is absolutely stock, with a better plug, stock pipe, and a better air filter. Not looking to race Hayabusas... just don't want garbage getting sucked in.
    Here is the new filter:[​IMG]
    Thanks.

* Anyone else think the stock air filter looks like the logo from The Punisher?:
    [​IMG]

scratg

2. TheNecromancer13

It shouldn't change much, although your carb most likely needs tuning anyways. In terms of reliability, has anyone warned you about the stock sprocket adapter yet? That's the first thing I replace on chinabikes, before I even test-ride them.

3. JerryAssburger

Thank you! I can't wait to get this running/broken-in so that I can start tweaking the carb for sure! Hub Adapter?...still saving up for a good one. Considering the whole kit was $105, $40 is a healthy chunk for 1 part. I've been trying to keep this in the Low-Buck Experimental Mode, and I'll just have to keep a very close eye on the sprocket and tensioner set-up. The funny part is, it seems China Inc. has been paying attention to the mods/improvements people make to their kits, and when (not if) they decide to make improved hubs for sale, you can bet it won't be $40 a pop. The evolution and value of these kits over the years has been impressive.

4. Slogger

Slogger Member

I don't think ingesting dirt is the cause of most cg engine seizures.
    They last quite a while with the stock doodad. My cover's drilled with 5 or 6 holes.
    If it falls off the mixture leans out a bit and pulls good, so an improved airflow makes some difference. I lost one of those round ones. The engine ran fine, if a little lean.

After spending about a hundred on different carbs and filters, my stock engine ran best with the drilled out cover and the original NT carb. Who knew?

5. TheNecromancer13

I find that properly tuned, the NT carbs are much simpler to adjust and a lot less finicky than most others. Don't even get me started on the CNS carbs.

6. TheNecromancer13

You will need a sprocket to go with the adapter, so it's actually more like $80. It's cheaper than a new wheel though lol.