Traffic Ticket fine in Los Angeles..ridiculous!

GoldenMotor.com

Mr.2Tcycles

Nov 13, 2008
Hawthorne CA
Well I got a traffic ticket on my bike for riding on the sidewalk, figured I didn't want to end up under some car or bus that day. Tried to pay the ticket today, called the number for the superior court to pay and jumped through hopes just for the automated system to find the ticket. Well it didn't...it wouldn't take my DOB even though I tried 5 times, then it gave me the option to talk to an operator, tried that.....said too many callers call back later, then kicked me back to the front of the menu to enter the same information it just took. This process takes at least 10 minutes. OK here's the kicker, the bail/fine schedule says 20 bucks for riding on the side walk. No big deal right? WRONG!!! that's 20 bucks plus what the traffic court clerk refered to as additional assesment and penalty fees. When asked what for she repeated additional penalties and assesment fees.So 20 for fine 73 for extra fees then another 10 for paying on website Grand total, after paying online $103.00!!!!. State taxes are high here gas is amoung the most expensive, then they rape you on traffic fines and you have to pay for the process. AND THE STATE IS STILL GOING BROKE. California is an extortionist state might as well let the convicts on death row pay for their bullet, gas , or chemicals they are going to use. Now I admit I was wrong for riding on the sidewalk, but I was endangering no one, was no being reckless, nor was I being uncooperative with the motorcycle cop. I thought they charge taxes to cover the states services, build court houses, pay cops,judges and the rest of "the man's machine". More than 3 times the amount of the traffic ticket for extra fees what the.......Pay taxes then fines that go both to the state to spend as it sees fit isn't that double taxation? $103 bucks is a hard hit for me. The system is broken, we are not getting our money's worth, the government is corrupt, the people are being bled dry, and you can't fight the man.

Russntustin

Nov 18, 2008
Southern California
Was your engine running? They will give you the same fine for riding a bicycle on the side walk without an engine. Still...what a bummer. My wife got a ticket for honking her horn in her miata.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
uh, the moral of the story? Don't ride a motorized vehicle on the sidewalk.

Heck in a lot of places you can't even ride a pedal bike on the sidewalk.

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Quit your job, feign illness and get on the California gravy train. The state takes good care of the indigent, feeble, hadicapable and the just too lazy to work high school dropout welfare mommas.
Your fine goes to feed the lazy, the crazy and the stupid.
Gotta love it!
The weather is nice though! :D

Mr.2Tcycles

Nov 13, 2008
Hawthorne CA
Was your engine running? They will give you the same fine for riding a bicycle on the side walk without an engine. Still...what a bummer. My wife got a ticket for honking her horn in her miata.
Was in idle, California code says you can ride anywhere you want if there is an obstacle in the road that will prove hazardous to you. Wonderr if traffic counts. I admit I did wrong and was willing to pay the fine, but tacked on fees 3 times the amount?!!!! Might as well say :"Gotcha!!! Stick 'em up... I am gonna take your money, there's nothing you can do about it.....I AM THE LAW!!!! IT IS WHATEVER I SAY IT IS!!!! That whole go to court thing? Just a front for a scam I am part of".

Mr.2Tcycles

Nov 13, 2008
Hawthorne CA
uh, the moral of the story? Don't ride a motorized vehicle on the sidewalk.

Heck in a lot of places you can't even ride a pedal bike on the sidewalk.
There are very few bike lanes where I live, and people drive like its DEATH RACE 2008. Its like they set you up to be able to take your money. The courts are in cahoots with the cops.

Mr.2Tcycles

Nov 13, 2008
Hawthorne CA
Quit your job, feign illness and get on the California gravy train. The state takes good care of the indigent, feeble, hadicapable and the just too lazy to work high school dropout welfare mommas.
Your fine goes to feed the lazy, the crazy and the stupid.
Gotta love it!
The weather is nice though! :D
Amen brother. But that just ain't right.

Youngbird

Vendor
Dec 2, 2008
Longneck, DE
Kinda makes me happy that we havent got sidewalks where I live....just loooong, straight, flat country roads. With lotsa cars though. LOL.(c)

Mr.2Tcycles

Nov 13, 2008
Hawthorne CA
Well I got a traffic ticket on my bike for riding on the sidewalk, figured I didn't want to end up under some car or bus that day. Tried to pay the ticket today, called the number for the superior court to pay and jumped through hopes just for the automated system to find the ticket. Well it didn't...it wouldn't take my DOB even though I tried 5 times, then it gave me the option to talk to an operator, tried that.....said too many callers call back later, then kicked me back to the front of the menu to enter the same information it just took. This process takes at least 10 minutes. OK here's the kicker, the bail/fine schedule says 20 bucks for riding on the side walk. No big deal right? WRONG!!! that's 20 bucks plus what the traffic court clerk refered to as additional assesment and penalty fees. When asked what for she repeated additional penalties and assesment fees.So 20 for fine 73 for extra fees then another 10 for paying on website Grand total, after paying online $103.00!!!!. State taxes are high here gas is amoung the most expensive, then they rape you on traffic fines and you have to pay for the process. AND THE STATE IS STILL GOING BROKE. California is an extortionist state might as well let the convicts on death row pay for their bullet, gas , or chemicals they are going to use. Now I admit I was wrong for riding on the sidewalk, but I was endangering no one, was no being reckless, nor was I being uncooperative with the motorcycle cop. I thought they charge taxes to cover the states services, build court houses, pay cops,judges and the rest of "the man's machine". More than 3 times the amount of the traffic ticket for extra fees what the.......Pay taxes then fines that go both to the state to spend as it sees fit isn't that double taxation? $103 bucks is a hard hit for me. The system is broken, we are not getting our money's worth, the government is corrupt, the people are being bled dry, and you can't fight the man.

Oh and get this just after paying them I checked my bank account, and they double charged me. Maybe I just shouldn't leave the house today.

rgvkid

Sep 21, 2008
Los Angeles,CA
I would try and fight it. Unfortunatly its time and you have to pay the ticket in advance but still, i would try and fight it. The judge might be lienent on your behalf, or the cop might not show.

Mr.2Tcycles

Nov 13, 2008
Hawthorne CA
I would try and fight it. Unfortunatly its time and you have to pay the ticket in advance but still, i would try and fight it. The judge might be lienent on your behalf, or the cop might not show.
I have given up on the justice system, and our extortionist state government, they want their money and there is nothing I can do to stop it. OJ goes free, innocent people get executed, killer cops get fired/suspended and not put in jail....the poor get more so the rich get more so. Its a sorry time we live in.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
In Colorader,we have a sidewalk law that applies ONLY to Downtown Denver. And they have bike lanes on all the streets and CARS (Yes,cars) are fined when they don't share the road with bicyclists.
Anywhere else I pass cops all the time on the sidewalk. When the speed limit on the road is over 30 mph,I'm on the sidewalk.
Downtown,riding off the sidewalk is actually rather nice,though.

Mr.2Tcycles

Nov 13, 2008
Hawthorne CA
where in l.a? or was this in Hawthorne?
This was actually in Lawndale right by Lutzinger school not may be 1 mile from Hawthorne motorbike cop by name of Davis G. nice guy but said he was ticketing for all who rode on sidewalk powered or not. I think he was bored, I think he would have been pulled over even if I was motoring on street. Passed a lot of cops in cars before and after the ticket and they never even batted an eye. Cali must be really hard off. Can you imagine all those kids being ticketed when they get out of class for the day?

Mr.2Tcycles

Nov 13, 2008
Hawthorne CA
Unfortunately if you go to court then there is "court costs" besides the time you spend.....
Yep, if you fight the charge it gets even more expensive but that's the tricK see to deter you from going to court. Pay the fine now (discount), online (there's a fee for the privilege) or telephone either way they got YOUR money...go to court (court fees) then pay more money on top of fine and "assesment/penaly fees". Lose Lose of us WIN WIN FOR THEM. THE DECK IS STACKED, THE GAME IS RIGGED AND THEY ARE THE ONES THAT CHOSE WHO GETS TO PLAY, AND EVENTUALLY YOU WILL PLAY. WAKE UP!!!! Don't pay?....you get a warrant, insurance company gets more money from you in higher premiums. That's right even if you were not driving your car. Hmmmm me thinks insurance companies had a hand in writing the laws. Oh yes!!! fellow bikers and the insurance companies will know if you had a ticket, they have a dedicated system connected to the DMV to tell them so.How do you think they can give you quotes in 3 minutes or online? If insurance is mandatory for all drivers, and the state colludes with them. Isn't the state making money for the insurance companies in a indirect way? So here's how it boils down......you pay taxes to the state...the state enforces its laws.....the state says you must have insurance....the state provides your ticket info to the insurance companies...they charge you more when you get a ticket.....SO YOU ARE PAYING THE STATE TO MAKE MORE MONEY FOR THE INSURANCE COMPANIES. THAT'S PAYING TO PAY MORE EVENTUALLY (Insurance is an eventually thing). Are the insurance companies non-profit? NO! Is there a way around this YES!.......BUT YOU can't afford it..... to be able to bond yourself. They GOTCHA!!!! making it non-affordable for the average citizen.They say insurance is for everybody's protection, yet when you file you get the "run around" and sometimes insurance companies refuse to pay your damages "depending on the fine print" and their interpretation of the contract......even if you faithfully paid your insurance bill every month. Look at the Oakridge earthquake, look at Katrina, look at the fires in Cali. WAKE UP! That's right we are being scammed. Here's my solution......non-profit insurance company, still monitoring drivers but if you had a DUI 10 years ago and been a safe driver since you should have a reasonable rate. No Fees, no extra premiums, no bs.

BikeBerry.com

Dealer
Nov 7, 2008
California
www.bikeberry.com
Unfortunately, the system is set up so that they have the upper hand. They make it very easy (compared to fighting the ticket) to just plead guilty and pay for the ticket, yet you have to jump through hoops and back to fight for what is right. If its not too late, you may considering fighting this ticket. I'm no lawyer, but you seem to have a valid reason for riding on the sidewalk.

Regardless if you win or lose, its a great experience in seeing how the judicial system really works. I've gone to court to fight all of my traffic tickets and it has always turned out to be worth the time. Good Luck!

Mr.2Tcycles

Nov 13, 2008
Hawthorne CA
Unfortunately, the system is set up so that they have the upper hand. They make it very easy (compared to fighting the ticket) to just plead guilty and pay for the ticket, yet you have to jump through hoops and back to fight for what is right. If its not too late, you may considering fighting this ticket. I'm no lawyer, but you seem to have a valid reason for riding on the sidewalk.

Regardless if you win or lose, its a great experience in seeing how the judicial system really works. I've gone to court to fight all of my traffic tickets and it has always turned out to be worth the time. Good Luck!
Odds are you lose anyway......I have sat through many court sessions and odds are not good, as long as the majority of the people "feel" safe and secure the so called judicial system can do anything it wants. Where are the kick backs coming from? Direct or indirect.See my logic on previous post.

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
I Did Not Sign Up For My Homestead Exemption For A Few Years. When I Did, My Next Property Appraisal Was Raised The Exact Amount Of The Exemption!! I Love The Usa, But That Sh$$ Left Me In A Bad Mood For A While. It Almost Doubled What It Should Have Been..bf.