top 3 questions people ask about your bike.

GoldenMotor.com

Rigz

Mar 1, 2018
orlando
Everywhere I go and every single day without fail people always ask me the same 3 questions. #1 "how fast does it go?" #2 "how much did it cost? " and #3 "how many mpg does it get?" But by far my favorite response that people give me is "I was not expecting to see that when you pulled up" What are the questions and responses that you guys get?

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
As you stated, I get far more interactions with this contraption than with any motorcycle I ever owned. By far, my favorite reaction is when you ride by some kids and you see their jaws drop..... (p)

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Ofcourse my bike with rusted and beyond thunderdome look, had one person say that thing doesn't run. His dad said to his son, oh it does, as he saw me testing it in the driveway. A good coating of mud preserves the rust! Last trip to OHV trail Mendicino National Forest.
CAM42508.jpg

Reactions: Rigz

PeteMcP

Jun 27, 2017
Here in the UK I get tired of hearing 'How much...and where can I buy me one of those?"
Usually from insulted Harley riders, miffed at why crowds of admiring onlookers swarm round an itty-bitty motorized bicycle costing a fraction of their ride....

Reactions: Rigz

Rigz

Mar 1, 2018
orlando
I would say what insults me is that people ask there questions but usually don't care or understand the answer. I feel kinda lonely becuase I don't personally know anyone who has one and nobody wants to hear about all hours of work that go into these things and all the failures and triumphs. That's a big reason I joined this forum. It took me 4 different bikes and 100 different configurations to finally get a mostly reliable and strong running bike

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I'm finding that people under 30 don't understand much of anything these days (except perhaps 'which thumb to use on which button').

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
you do get over the attention at some point. these days I don't entertain anybody's interest unless they are builders themselves. If they ask me "is that a clone/predator engine?" then I will chat with them; but most of the time I tell them its my buddy's bike and it ends the conversation immediately. even with this line I still get some persistent f*cks who continue to bother me...

Last edited:
Reactions: PeteMcP

DavidCP

Dec 28, 2017
I get the "where did you buy that?" question a lot. Along with a surprised look when I tell them I built it.
Granted all the parts were purchased online but it's still technically my specific creation. :)

I have a modified 4-stroke friction drive setup. It's surprisingly quiet and despite being small, it's still got a full two horsepower. Which is enough to take my 127 pound self up to ~35 MPH on flat roads.

TheMogollonMonster

Mar 26, 2018
White Mountian Lakes AZ
I always hear the same questions as the OP, followed by the sounds of crickets in the back ground when I fire off the answers to all of them at the asking of any one, and explain that I build the things. Then they ask for my number and never call. I don't mind, I also don't see many other folks riding in my area. I think there's a total of half a dozen in a 40 mile radius. My box of parts, the bike I sold my cousin, my buddy Scotty, an old man in Heber, and a few random super sloppy tweaker builds.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
When I rode mine in Newport Beach, CA all the time, the question I got were;

"can i see your License and registration, please."

When I was drafting trucks at 55+ down PCH:

"Do you got a f'ing deathwish or something?!"

From people when I told them I rode motorized bikes:

"Don't you like girls?"

ReggieB

Jun 8, 2017
from just about every police officer in a town of 50,000. Man that is cool where....? And their looks when I tell em I built it then they are even more appreciative of the ride. They also know that I know the law and have passed that around here among themselves. Nowadays they also know that I don't ride like an idiot.

dogcatcher

Nov 11, 2016
Texas
from just about every police officer in a town of 50,000. Man that is cool where....? And their looks when I tell em I built it then they are even more appreciative of the ride. They also know that I know the law and have passed that around here among themselves. Nowadays they also know that I don't ride like an idiot.
I believe that is the best thing that can be done. Most new laws are created because some people were acting like idiots.

DavidCP

Dec 28, 2017
3. How fast does it go?
I get this one a lot. Personally I built my friction drive for convenience not speed.
The absolute max I have gotten out of it is 35 MPH while pedaling to help it. Which is plenty fast enough for a bicycle in my view.
A crash at that speed would most certainly ruin my month.

But I rarely take it over 25 MPH unless absolutely needed.
The benefit of these devices is they can be taken off road if needed.
It's hard for me to appreciate the outside world when going faster than that.

Reactions: Russell