Tight Brass Bushing Question

GoldenMotor.com

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
My new motor has a brass bushing, i tried to get off the piston to notch the skirt and the wrist pin wasn't coming out easy enough, so without expending too much effort, I ground my notch on the rod, with bags stuffed in the motor.

My question is, will this bushing loosen up, because if it does not, the movement will be the wrist pin/bosses and not the brass bushing/wrist pin.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
So, nobody has an answer, I guess in time I will have to provide one.

I guess nobody has ever had a tight bushing, are they normally on tight, tight where you cannot push the wrist pin through the bosses with your fingers?

I would really hate for all the movement and friction to be in the wrong spot because the bushing is not moving on the wrist pin.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I am hesitant to say anything because I don't know what experience you have, but you can easily ream the bushing out a bit to free things up. This is best left to qualified persons because you cannot put metal back easily.
It takes a special tool as well, so your best bet would be a sympathetic machinist.
I once had to rebush a Husqvarna weedwhacker rod and after replacing the bushing, I took it to my local NAPA where I knew a guy who had the tools.
Took about 3 minutes and cost me a six-pack. It had exactly the same tightness you describe and reaming fixed it perfectly. I ran that engine in a big rc boat for several years and sold it still running.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
I guess I'm going to cross my fingers and hope it fixes itself, regardless, I wil have to take it apart to check.
The crappy thing is, my bike frame is tight on my motor so I will have to remove the whole motor to pull my head.