Three piece crank from hades

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Okay here is the latest "what the heck"

I have to take a three piece crank off to put on a sensor. So I take the nut off at the top of the pedal arm. I cant figure out why the arm won't just slip off what has to be the axle.. It seems like it should, but before I massage it to death with a ten pound hammer, somebody tell me is it just rusted on. I looked all over the net and can't make any sense from their directions to remove the crank.

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
You need a crank arm removal tool The crankshaft is tapered, so when the nut was tightened on the arm "jams" into place

Buy one from Sick Bike Parts Page or get one from a bike shop. Or wack away and maybe break something

Oh yeah it is also probably rusted on as well.

reg454

Jan 11, 2009
michigan
I have a 3 piece crank I have from my old bike I am thinking to use it on my new bike because it is alot stronger than the 1 piece but I might just sell it as is for $10 with the arms.

O when you do get the arms off get a tube of antiseize and put a little on before you reinstall the arms it will help the next time you have to take them off again.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Update the bike shop loaned me a puller for thirty minutes and i got it off no sweat. That is what I would have if I needed to do that very often.