Thoughts on a Better Clutch Lever

GoldenMotor.com

VectorRoll

Mar 21, 2016
Illinois
I am looking for better Clutch Lever / Handle. It is not that the Clutch Lever I have is not working or feels bad. Thing is I just do not like the Locking Mechanism for it. The lock on it just plain sucks. When you set it as far back as it goes it just does not hold the clutch enough to disengage it. It took me a lot of time to get the Clutch to feel good and not be hard to use, but when it come to the lock on this Crappy Lever I pretty much gave up. So for not when I want to pedal my bike or just roll it around I need to constantly hold the Clutch. Not to bad of an issue but more of an annoyance.

Anyway... Being that it is the stock Lever that came with the Engine Kit I am not surprised or upset about it in general. Yet I do want to upgrade it. So I am wonder what others might have chosen to get in replace of it, if they have.

I do have a few ideas running around my head. The first obvious one is to just get a better Lever of the same style. My second and third thoughts were to try a strategically placed Shift Lever like either a Thumb or Gooseneck shifter or even a old Vintage Stick Shifter which I know would be a risky design to have. .duh.
In any case being out in the rural farm land of Illinois without any real hills and not as many stop and go situations as well as being a motorcyclist that has used a suicide clutch a few times before, the second and third options do not worry me as much. Thing is I am wondering if anyone here has tried any of these before before? If so how did they like it?

I'll probable try all three ways at some point. But I do wonder for the first idea on a better regular Clutch Lever, what brands have you all tried and liked that have a GOOD locking mechanism? Remember the Locking Mechanism is what I am looking for the most here as I want a better way to keep the Clutch Lever held in place without having to grip it the entire time.

Thanks ahead of time for any thoughts and replies. :)

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
I use dia-compe tech77 locking levers.

They were originally made in the 80's for freestyle bmx, and they started making them again a few years back.

Around 15 bucks each, come in lefts and rights, and the lock works great, as well as the lever action.

VectorRoll

Mar 21, 2016
Illinois
A Whizzer clutch lever and better cable would help. They're a tad longer
Seeing a Whizzer is what actually got me interested in making a motorized bike a while back. :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll add Whizzer Clutch to my search list to see what I find. ;)

I use dia-compe tech77 locking levers.

They were originally made in the 80's for freestyle bmx, and they started making them again a few years back.

Around 15 bucks each, come in lefts and rights, and the lock works great, as well as the lever action.
Thanks for the suggestion. Those Tech-77 look nice. In searching it, I did see that right hand one with the Dual Pull. It really caught my eye for my Brakes. Seems pretty hard to find that version though. They all seem to be single pull.

I might go ahead and get one of these Tech-77 for the Left Hand Single Pull as my clutch now. It seems they have a few color options and I found one that is Black & White which would match my bike's paint scheme perfectly. But it is overseas. :( Anyways... I'll give one of these a try and see how I like it. Thanks again. :)