The What if thread

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
JUST A PLACE TO TOSS OUT STRAY IDEAS.

I just read the thread on the green hub from MIT. I just installed a hub motor that cost way too much in my opinion. So I won't be buying a new even more expensive one any time soon. I did find one part of their idea fascinating.

My largest concern about an ebike is not the speed. Heck I'm not safe at pedal bike speed. My concern is range. Their wheel is a generator as well as a motor. I could never hope to do that, but what if I hooked a generator up to one of the spare sprockets on the rear wheel of a bike. I could use the front wheel for the hub motor that I have. I could use ordinary batteries and add a generator that cranks power back into the batteries anytime I pedal the bike. My bike is 250watts so I do a lot of pedaling. I saw that I could use the hub motor to make pedaling all the time easy. The hub can keep the pedaling no more strenuous than pedaling on a slight decline. That would still turn the chain and consequently the generator. Yes one would be pulling more amps then they would be replacing but it might extend the range by a few percentages.

What do you think

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It looks as thought I can use a 24volt scooter motor to charge a 24volt battery pack if I can come up with a diode pack to prevent the motor from accepting current from the battery pack and only allow it to go into it.

Gonna have to give that some thought. Wish I knew a bit more about this kind of thing.

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
Deacon Take a look at the 7 amp charger controller #336606 at northerntool.com and see if this is what your looking for.I use them on our motor cycle trailer solar panel.HARLEYS DAD

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
thanks doc

I took a look I dont think that would work. I need it for 24 volts first of all, and im not sure it is would prevent the current from discharging back to the battery.

those motors will current as a default. Making the motor run. what I need is a circuit to allow the circuit to remain closed but only allow current to go one way. Back to the battery.

I have thought about it and decided that it needs to be a friction drive on the motor so it will charge even when it is freewheeling....

i just need a circuit with a diode like a automobile alternator. I might call a alternator shop see if they have such a thing.

Last edited: