the rear wheel from my huffy beach cruiser broke again 2nd time?

GoldenMotor.com

gill vanderwerf

Sep 9, 2019
well fixed the clutch... take it out for a spin works great no metal shavings that i could see and then snap right where the coasterbreak is that baring underneath broke wheel locked up. this is the 2nd time this happened can anyone here explain to me what i am doing wrong because i am about ready to trow in the towel and go back to walking .

gill

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
What you're doing wrong is relying on a huffy wheel.

I'm not being sarcastic, either. The hubs are junk. I'm a bike assembler for major stores, and huffys get returned all the time for creaking hubs, blown out bearings, etc, and that's from people just pedaling around. Not adding a motor.

Best bet is to get a wheel with a Shimano coaster brake. It should last you a long time.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
A few years back I posted this about a redesign I did on a Staton Hub axle. You may want to contact Staton Inc about doing the same thing for you. I also suggest using a double walled rim. I've had my wheel several years now and its held up well. Staton makes adaptors to add a sprocket to the left side of the hub. This would mean using another braking system and getting rid of the coaster brake.

https://motorbicycling.com/threads/broken-rear-axle.58426/

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
do you have a link so i can see what and where to get it
Just Google Shimano CB-E110. that's the hub. A little more searching and youll find wheels. I think bikeberry has the wheel, but not sure.

DO NOT be fooled by the KT hubs. They're knock-offs of the Shimano, look identical, but not as good.

Shimanos are cheap, too. Like 20 bucks for just the hub.

lewdog7431

Feb 13, 2019
Hi a partner of mine recently went through the same problem with his pedal break back rim long story short them coaster brakes are not designed to handle the load of an engine too much constant torque and the rims are good just for pedaling speed, now a regular freewheel rim will work just fine and the rag joint is garbage I've gotten the hub adaptor and an extra clamp for the hub mount I'll send a pict hopefully this might help , good luck.......... lewdog

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

lewdog7431

Feb 13, 2019
Ok check it out pictures finally, I've been lazy with the forum lately please excuse my laziness, so I'll explain in short, the 3b bolt clamp to the hub plus I've drilled n tapped extra hole for more in the bracket to put a bolt through to bite in to the hub actual and then the extra bracket to keep the black one from sliding forward or at all also I've changed the bolts to real bolts and not machine bolts with hex head, so far that rim ive broken 3 spokes I have to change the rim today but later ive got to take it to work this morning it's wobbly but it still rolls kinda dangerous but what's life with out risk and both bikes run the GT Aggressor is fun fun fun not super fast but I'm keeping up with traffic in the city streets ,(scary drivers out there) and the black bike is the work truck some 29in mt bike aluminium fraim cheap parts all over it but it works and falling apart, I gotta do what I gotta do right f.it all in all I love my bikes especially the new one check this out my girlfriend got me a gas tank bike from cdh power fully functionally working bike but no pictures yet I'll get to that in another forum heading named,gas tank ripperr or something like that ok then good people hope this helps out a little..........lewdog

Attachments

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
12mm axle is the way to go, I like moped drum hubs with a wide range of sprocket sizes and possibly with a 16 or 17 mag wheel as part of it. You do need to search around and make sure you buy the right hub, brake plate, and sprocket ID.

https://www.treatland.tv/

I had a hub linked but there are no sprockets for it for sale. So I just give you this screenshot.

Attachments

Last edited: