The Great Race

GoldenMotor.com

Brains

Jul 21, 2008
Adelaide Australia
G'day all, been thinking what do you all think about organizing a GREAT race from LA to NY between Team USA & Team AUSTRALIA, there would need to be heaps of organizing from both sides of the world, we would do it for raising money for a nominated charity, and awareness of our MB culture, we have to organize rules & laws of engagement for the great race!!!

Need a support crew for making movie, so we can sell DVD's and all the money raised would go to the nominated charity agreed by both teams.

No sleeping in Hotels, under the stars in swags

Want to know if I would get any support from you guys in making this happen, or do the Aussies just do it on our own , I would hate for us to be the only ones to show up at the start line HeeHeeee LOL

Awaiting replies in Anticipation of the greatest event to take the bitumen road on American soil!

Come on who will support this idea

Cheers
Brains

Brains

Jul 21, 2008
Adelaide Australia
Excellent that you like the idea Weedylot, Im trying to find a better map of America than I have been able to find so far, I need to get hold of good road map, Im trying to start to do some research on the which routes would be best to start investigating, come on guys I need as much help as possible with this one

We could follow up with another race in Australia after this one, across the widest part Perth to Sydney

Oprah & Olivia Newton John I need your help!!!!!!, gonna have to give them a ring!!!

Cheers
Brains

Brains

Jul 21, 2008
Adelaide Australia
Okay dvdtz, cool spread the word, so much to investigate, Ive been told by Dan only state will be NY that does not allow MB, but he feels with the support of what we are doing and media we should be fine, and get through

Where do we start in LA & where do we have the finish lane in NY

Cheers
Brains

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
Following the old historic "Route 66" is a good start. America built "Interstate Freeways" in the 50s and 60s that made the old Route 66 disappear. For example 66 is now "Interstate 40" across Arizona.
Some small stretches still exist though, and are scenic and easy access. The "Interstate Freeways" are limited access, 45 MPH minimum, 5 H.P. minimum and not at all suitable for MBs.

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
There are several resources for travel info on the smaller and less traveled roads across America.
I don't have the interweb skills to search efficiently. The professional truck drivers know all the small "back roads" that would be great for MBs. :D

dvddtz

Feb 15, 2009
Gulf Breeze, FL
Mabey a southern route to avoid mountains.Interstate 10 goes from L.A.to Jacksonville FL.Im not saying to take the interstate, but typically there are scenic routes that follow pretty close. .rd.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
This is very cool. I am in. Thanks Brain!

With a GPS programed to avoid highways and go "shortest route" Navigation would not be a problem. I am sure a manufacturer or supplier would jump at sponsorship. (hmm, thought for later)

How about using proceeds towards researching and developing the ultimate MB engine? Would be a good mission as it would be promoting and developing ultralight and "green" transportation. My thinking on this is an in frame 4 stroke with elec. I would like to develop an alternate fuel capable engine as well. (propane and/or gasoline)

using Google Maps (directions from NYC NY to LA CA) It shows going threw 11 states as the shortest route at 3,114 miles avoiding highways. At an average speed of 18MPH, this would take 173 hours. (My math is suspect, please feel free to double check me) RT 1 is a cool trip too. Just sayin' Goes from Canada to Key West Fla. Only highway you can not avoid is the George Washington bridge in NYC. Could take the ferry over.

I have to research it but think using a professional fund raising org might be advantageous. AFP > Content >

Last edited:

Brains

Jul 21, 2008
Adelaide Australia
Wow, great to see people are willing to do some research to see if we can make this happen, I did some quick research on the old Route 66, it seems it all can be done with a couple of sections which states hard going with motor vehicle, makes it even more interesting, I can not down load the maps without buying an eight set sheet, which I dont mind doing, anyway you guys know the roads better than I could even start to imagine, maybe just doing the old Route 66 is worth looking at, looks like no major highways to tackle? and the road should be pretty much all ours.

Cheers

Brains.rd.

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
If you travel any roads in the south count us in.I will have the mississippi tourist commisson welcome you.We can have camping sites waiting.Any thing you need ,just ask.HARLEYS DAD

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
A southern route is also do-able, I think. I've only been on the I-10 and I-20 freeways except across Texas from Corpus Christi to El Paso and around southern Arizona. :D

Brains

Jul 21, 2008
Adelaide Australia
Hey Meckano, was not trying to leave other nations out, just started with the concept I posted, by all means if your keen to get a bunch of your mates together, Im sure the roads are wide enough to accomodate us all.

We need fellow members to start posting some maps with routes marked for all to start debating the yellow brick road to follow

Cheers
Brains

DOC BOLM

Aug 21, 2008
Mississippi
Brains just talked to a driver in texas ,heading home.He said when you decide which way your going he will help map on secondary roads across the usa.There a program at the office called pc miler that tracks our trucks on gps.It also routes the trucks .HD