the front wheel drive bike

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The mtb front wheel drive has morphed into this bike..

It now has a 31cc ryobi WW engine and a suicide clutch. I still have to get used to the clutch and the fact there is no front brake on this one. the coaster brake will stop it pretty quick and if i get off the gas it will roll to a stop as well.

I rode it on the one mile test track and it did pretty good. I had to stop short twice to adjust the controls. It did just fine once I got the controls right. The cable for the throttle has been used and reused so many tile I had to put a sping on it to make it return. It's the first bike I ever had to do that to the front throttle. All the rear engine needed the helper spring.

It has a rhythmic thump when it runs along. I can't see any reason for it but it does have a semi knobby tire on the front. I thinking about changing it for a smooth tire. I might do that tomorrow just to see if it helps. The wheel I'm going to use is 26". It might also change the angle of the engine so that I might use a brake lever for the clutch again.

I swear I love the WW engine bikes even though there are some things better about the chain saw bikes.

All my bikes except the china bike have 20" coaster wheels. It makes it much easier for me to mount and even to pedal since they also have the short crank set from the 20" bike as well.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I was going to ride this bike again today but I noticed the fabric is showing through the front tire. I have four brand new ones on the way so I'm debating waiting for them or popping on one of the used ones I have in the shop.

by the way those bike store $10 20" tires were garbage. I have another one I haven't mounted yet but I'm not sure if I will bother. I'm thinking it's time to try one of the department store cheepie tires. I also have a few used 20" tires I should wear out as well.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
after riding he 42cc to the lake and then riding this bike on the test track it is my favorite of the two for sure. The 31cc is a better match for the friction drive. The bike rides much smoother because it is the suspension type. The wheel is the plain pipe with the sand paper glued to it.

I really do like this configuration. As a matter of fact I like it so well that I am going to do the drive wheel test on the 33 cc chainsaw bike rather than mess with this one.

So far this is the winner just because it is right for me. It probably isn't right for anyone else but so far I find it the perfect match of power and simplicity. The front wheel drive I think makes the bike perform better with the small light high reving engine.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
this bike is doing so well I might just sell the china bike on craigs list here locally. I haven't started it in two weeks. I guess I need to do that much at least.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I couldn't help myself. I took the front wheel drive bike out onto the bike killer hill. I have only had one bike that would pull this hill without any assistance that is the china bike. Today I went up that hill which has at a moderate to steep incline for five blocks without a letup and the 31cc did it without any assistance, and it never lost it's drive.

I LOVE THIS BIKE

The tire does show signs of wear but it was a worn tire when I installed it yesterday. I have some new ones coming. I will see how long one of them lasts on this drive. I was absolutely shocked and amazed. The way the 42cc bike is configured it would not have done that.