Sustained speed for Honda GXH50 For a 25 mile distance?

GoldenMotor.com

MiamiHeat87

Nov 29, 2010
Miami, FL
As I'm obtaining my first motorbike, I will be going for a Station two wheel chain drive kit that uses the Honda GXH50 engine. I need to figure out my top speed wanted.

I will be using the engine to commute about 25 miles twice a day to equal 50 miles a day for 5 days a week. It tells me the engine can go 35 mph, but my greatest concern is engine longevity and not overheating or shutting down due to such use.

According to this: Honda GXH50 49.3 cc 2.50 hp Max. Outside Drive

What do you recommend I get and why? I can go as low as 14.40 mph to 35.50. I'm not too worried about high speed since I pedal bicycled the distance I told you about today one way and it took me an hour and half to do it then I had to work which I do laborious activities and damn, I was pretty tired!

I wish to understand the whole process. GEBE has it explained very easy in which they have a commuter bike engine and a mountain one. You can also choose the drive such as highway or mountain! I wish it was like this at station.

Last edited:

MiamiHeat87

Nov 29, 2010
Miami, FL
Better yet.. Where is a giant guide / manual sort of book I can read to actually understand what everything on that page is and what it does?

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
What is going on at both GEBE and Staton is they are fine tuning the final drive ratio. The difference is the words used to describe the ratio. No matter what motor you choose to use its all about getting the right overall reduction ratio to allow the bike to function over the largest possible range. GEBE accomplishes this reduction all in one shot, direct from the small driver on the motor to the large driven sheave on the rear wheel. Staton gets most of his reduction with his 18.75:1 Gear Box, then can fine tune it by allowing you to change the output sprocket from his gearbox. When you add to the top end speed you loose from the low end. What does this mean for your riding? The higher the top end speed the more you will have to pedal to get the bike started from a stop or going up hills. Just about all of the kits for the 4-stroke Honda come with an overall reduction of approx. 18.7:1 You would duplicate this ratio with Staton drive using the 16t out put cog and have a top speed of just under 32mph. Staton seems to be offering 11 different output cogs for his gearbox where GEBE only offers three different drivers for their system. Either way all they are doing is changing the overall drive ratio. To help you understand the math involved in computing these various ratios do a search of this site for Ratio Calculator.

ocscully

Last edited:

MiamiHeat87

Nov 29, 2010
Miami, FL
Ok. Thanks. I understand that better. Since I live in Miami, I have no hills to worry about and I called the guy about the engine so im going with the top speed.

g1manalo

Oct 23, 2010
san diego ca.
Have you considered the 7 speed staton. Gearing will make you engine perform better and last longer. I just recieved my shipments from station with 7 gears. his quality is top notch. He only uses the best quality parts he can find, overbuilt his components.