MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

I looked at this which uses the :
sturmey-archer
XL-FD
Back
90mm Front Drum Brake Hub

Specs for XL-FD says spoke compatibility 13G & 14G on sturmy-acrhcer pdf.

Wonder how husky says it uses hub with 24 inch rim, Spoke: 11-gauge steel with steel nipples?

Anyway they have been not available for some time. I wanted something already built and I just use the brake lever I already have on the handle bars for my v-brake. I also reuse tube and knobby tire too. They include cable and hardware so easy peasy?

Anything else like this exist to buy under $200 US Dollars?

Having a shop build something would probably be way more cost.

MT

Mossy

May 20, 2022

I looked at this which uses the :
sturmey-archer
XL-FD
Back
90mm Front Drum Brake Hub

Specs for XL-FD says spoke compatibility 13G & 14G on sturmy-acrhcer pdf.

Wonder how husky says it uses hub with 24 inch rim, Spoke: 11-gauge steel with steel nipples?

Anyway they have been not available for some time. I wanted something already built and I just use the brake lever I already have on the handle bars for my v-brake. I also reuse tube and knobby tire too. They include cable and hardware so easy peasy?

Anything else like this exist to buy under $200 US Dollars?

Having a shop build something would probably be way more cost.

MT
The hubs can be drilled out to 11-10 ga spokes and drum brakes need more pull and at a different geometry than v brake levers... V brake and disc are compatible but you loose some of the drums effects with v brake levers... A drum lever on a v brake would give you touchy brakes...

Reactions: fasteddy

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA

Have seen BLS92, BLS81P, & BLS81 on the above page for three levers that state for drum brakes.

OK can't find anyone selling in USA any of these levers.

Seeing this for where to buy on Sturmey-Archer based in UK:

Sturmey-Archer supplies only to trade customers and end-consumer questions, should be directed to a local bike shop.

So as local as I can do is 160 mi round trip. I'll be going to near an REI store anyway soon, so I will call on phone before to see if they can get the Huskey Part that is out of stock online from Husky and also compatible Sturmey-Archer Lever?

Also if in USA left brake lever is used for the front brake. I have a centrifugal clutch so no manual lever there anyway. I see that they have left and right levers, so need the left side type lever.

Will see what they can come up with.

MT

Mossy

May 20, 2022

Have seen BLS92, BLS81P, & BLS81 on the above page for three levers that state for drum brakes.

OK can't find anyone selling in USA any of these levers.

Seeing this for where to buy on Sturmey-Archer based in UK:

Sturmey-Archer supplies only to trade customers and end-consumer questions, should be directed to a local bike shop.

So as local as I can do is 160 mi round trip. I'll be going to near an REI store anyway soon, so I will call on phone before to see if they can get the Huskey Part that is out of stock online from Husky and also compatible Sturmey-Archer Lever?

Also if in USA left brake lever is used for the front brake. I have a centrifugal clutch so no manual lever there anyway. I see that they have left and right levers, so need the left side type lever.

Will see what they can come up with.

MT
These 100's are knock off not original... And about 1/3 the price of real deal ones... I'll probably change the bearings and the material on the shoes... There 2-3 weeks shipping time... The real ones have been out of stock for a few years now and don't look like there coming back... So I'm taking a chance and it's better than nothing ;)

Mossy

May 20, 2022
The levers for drum and the real deal ones $140 and there's an $80 one.. and you have to build the wheels or wait for worksman.... I'm going to put them on 19' rims

Attachments

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Thanks for all the responses!
What I saw very inexpensive on Ebay for a wheel with drum brake used, was probably not what I would be buying, but had a question about the solid tire that comes with the wheel with the drum.

Sturmey Archer XL-FDD 6v x 2.4W Tire frame and tire combination 26 x 1.5 SIZE
Item Information
Condition:
New other (see details)New other (see details)
“This tire, wheel, and bike brake combination is in like new condition, tires show little to no tread ”... Read more about condition
Quantity:
10 available / 24 sold
Price:
US $59.99

See below description. Also, the company name on the tire pictured say Orogen. Not Oregon if I got that right. Cannot find the company name anywhere, but photos don't lie?

"This tire, wheel, and bike brake combination is in like new condition, tires show little to no tread wear. The barrel of the bike wheel is in flawless condition 9/10 cosmetics

Please Note that the tire is solid and cannot be removed or replaced with a normal tire."

Why would there be no way to switch tire from solid to inflatable with tube. Is the rim different?

Thought maybe so difficult to remove, the seller figures keep away people that want to mess with it and the hassle of annoyed customers ruining rating on eBay?

The used Worksman wheels with drums selling for like 300 dollars.

At least one thing I got understood by speaking with REI Bike Shop, was that they will sell anything to you, but warned that a bike not designed for disc or drum (needing stronger build), they do not give any liability.

The fork for a disc needs the boss for mounting the caliper, so I figure forget disc brake wheel. I can weld, but the shocks on my fork would be toasted.

The drum however I think I got it right does not need any boss for mechanisms of the drum drake cable. The part is integral to the drum brake. I can tie wrap the brake cable covering onto the bike frame no problem.

As you pointed to the inexpensive: Bike Brake Lever Sturmey Archer BLS80 Drum Right Hand Silver

I'm not sure if $24 is US dollars and free shipping from UK. There is said could be duty tax? None of these parts could I find sold in US on Ebay search terms.

I have a Danforth anchor I could tie some rode to my bike frame and toss if anything else?

I suspect maybe the rear wheel drop outs on my frame may be a bit stronger for use of a drum brake than the front fork, so maybe if I find something like that Husky one out of stock come back, I could be game. No need for pedaling as my rear wheel is already in reality a front rim with attached knock off of the whizzer belt sheave. OHV California licensed for trails is it, that’s all I ride.

MT

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Thanks for all the responses!
What I saw very inexpensive on Ebay for a wheel with drum brake used, was probably not what I would be buying, but had a question about the solid tire that comes with the wheel with the drum.

Sturmey Archer XL-FDD 6v x 2.4W Tire frame and tire combination 26 x 1.5 SIZE
Item Information
Condition:
New other (see details)New other (see details)
“This tire, wheel, and bike brake combination is in like new condition, tires show little to no tread ”... Read more about condition
Quantity:
10 available / 24 sold
Price:
US $59.99

The description says XL-FDD which is 90mm with dynamo, but the picture is of an X-FDD 70mm. Don’t buy..

Reactions: fasteddy and Mossy

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
The description says XL-FDD which is 90mm with dynamo, but the picture is of an X-FDD 70mm. Don’t buy..
Good catch seeing that! I don't like the idea ofnbuying online, a used part that has moving parts. I bought on Ebay a paper filter housing used on Ebay, fine, it has no moving parts. In person buying used important parts is practically my feeling.

MT

Mossy

May 20, 2022
I'm willing to take a risk for something that has the potential to be quality... China is good at copying stuff... What they cast it out of ??? May be soft pot metal ? But that might be better for stopping with some up grade in the bearings is what I'm thinking

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Well there a lot smaller than the original fld 90 probably less than 1/2 the braking everything else being equal... I can use them on my pedal bike but not for a motorized bicycle so it's a fail...

Attachments