strange question single mounted wheel

GoldenMotor.com

wilsonintexas

Jan 27, 2018
THIS IS PROBABLY IN THE WRONG AREA, SORRY.

I HAVE A WHEELCHAIR THAT I HAVE HOOKED UP A SEGGWAY MINI PRO TO TOW AS A MULE.

I DO NOT TRUST THE NORMAL WHEELCHAIR TIRES AT SPEED (ONLY 6 OR 8 MPH) BUT STILL FASTER THAN A CHAIR IS DESIGNED FOR.

I AM THINKING OF MOUNTING SOME BICYCLE wheels onto the chair, but they would be mounted from a single side.

I am confident that the wheelchair mount would hold up, since it holds a tire as a single side nount already, but I do not know how the bicycle hub will take the load.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Trying to do this so I can take a big dog for a walk (trot) and my knees cannot take it anymore.

wilsonintexas

Jan 27, 2018
I was trying to keep costs down, I already have a bicycle with 26 inch tires that I was going to repurpose.

If it will not work I will reuse the bike frame (it has a sprung rear end, so I will take that section and the front fork and make up a buggy that will attach to the Segway. it will be a lot more work that attaching the tires to the wheelchair.

I looked at the wheel chair and it has a through bolt that goes thru the wheel and thru a tube mounted to the frame, with a nut to pull it tight.....

If I were back home, where I have a lathe, I could turn up a fitting that would be a heavier axle for the wheel, but I am trying to cobble something together before I head back to Texas in the RV with the dog.

I can just use the wheelchair but I do not like how it feels at speed.

it also recently snowed here and the Segway is having trouble pulling the chair with very thin tires in the snow. I was hoping that the bigger tires from the bike would have a little more "flotation" in the snow.

There was a closeout of some fat tire bikes recently, and I almost bought one to have fat tires for the snow.

as a similar take, if I can get the mount to work, I was thinking of eventually adding some ebike motors to the wheels and making an electric chair that way. BUT I came across the Segway on craigs list pretty cheap, (less than $150) If nothing else, I was going to reuse the battery and possible the motors but that will have to wait until I am back in Dallas where I at least have my tools.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
as long as the axle is ridged, I doubt a wheel would be affected by how it is mounted to the axle