Still stalling when idlling

GoldenMotor.com

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
My engine was running fine but lately , The bike seems to run fine but when I come to a stop the bike stalls after several seconds, It starts with very little effort as well. I had done over two hundred miles so far with only the regular problems.

I noticed that I had a gas around the bowl of the carburetor and leaking out of the air filter.

I cleaned the carb twice put on new seals. sealed up the carb as per Norms instructions the e-clip on the needle was already on the second slot from the top, new gas filter, Put in a champion spark plug, set the gap, AND NO MORE GAS LEAK!

I started it and spayed WD40 on the intake and the joint the joins the two peaces together and NO vapor leak!

Last night I rode it for a while and when, I stopped the idle was low and sounded like it was going to stall, I turned the idle screw in it made the idle higher drove it again but it stated to idle low again, so them I moved the adjuster on top of the carb (holding the slide up) test drove again and adjusted the idle this seemed to help.

Tested a little more it still seemed ok, Checked on more time with WD40 for vapor leaks everything was still good.

Started this morning, the engine was racing moved the adjuster on top of the carb down and it seemed ok , Checked for a vapor leak again and no leak, decide to ride to work, the idle stared to get low again so moved the adjuster on top of the carb up.

Rode the rest of the way to work seems to run ok put the idle problem persists

Any Ideas, maybe I have too much slack in the cable?

Or the jet still has something in it?

I am really puzzled :confused: and woried about running lean. on the Old plug the gap was too small, ( I never checked it because the engine was running fine) was oily but I think that is normal during break in.

Attachments

Last edited:

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Because you are getting a leak at the carb it is probably due to the float being too high which is probably causing a rich mixture at idle due to excess fuel being introduced. That is why when you adjusted the cable on the top of the carb it worked because you were now allowing more air in to compensate for the extra fuel. I think if you adjust your float you should be able to readjust your idle screw and your idle will return to normal and your leak should be gone.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I think the idle screw is just backing out, try some loctite medium strength. You don't want to adjust the idle with the cable adjuster at the top of the carb.

Joshua

Jun 8, 2008
usa
I'm having the same problem kind of. I was riding it into town the other day and it was running great, I stopped to let it cool down part way in and when I started it back up it wanted to die on idle. I rode the rest of the way into town and shut it down for a couple hours. when I went to start it back up it wouldn't start. I moved the e-clip down one notch to the second from the top and it started but ran poorly. went and got a new plug wire and plug, still runs rough with low power. So I leaned it up again and it started now and would idle but still runs terrible. I cleaned the air filter and checked the fuel filter. I noticed I have a leak around my carb somewhere but I'm not sure where it is coming from. what is my next step, tearing the carb apart. thank you.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I'm having the same problem kind of. I was riding it into town the other day and it was running great, I stopped to let it cool down part way in and when I started it back up it wanted to die on idle. I rode the rest of the way into town and shut it down for a couple hours. when I went to start it back up it wouldn't start. I moved the e-clip down one notch to the second from the top and it started but ran poorly. went and got a new plug wire and plug, still runs rough with low power. So I leaned it up again and it started now and would idle but still runs terrible. I cleaned the air filter and checked the fuel filter. I noticed I have a leak around my carb somewhere but I'm not sure where it is coming from. what is my next step, tearing the carb apart. thank you.

If you look around you'll find the source of the "leak". Could you have a cracked or leaing float that is making the flaot sit too low in the chamber allowing it to overfill?

I'd pop off the float bowl and inspect for crud, then look closely at the float.

MarcPhotoMan

May 21, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I agree with Joe you need to really look for the source of the leak but it sounds like you have a vapour leak.

I suspected that, I had one but could not find it, I only fou nd when i was examining some photos I took of the carb examining the idle adjust screw!(^)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I never used it. I really think most of those epoxy products are pretty similar I just like jb weld and have it on hand all the time.

Joshua

Jun 8, 2008
usa
Found my leak. A small part of my gasket was missing, I replaced it with some different gasket material and the problem is gone. I'm not sure how a piece of the gasket disappeared but it was gone. I rode it 4 more miles after it was running poorly, could I have any engine damage? I'm still running a 20:1 for break in. Thank you guys for your help. I really appreciate everyones willingness to lend there knowledge, it has been a great help many times already.