Steel wool in the muffler?

GoldenMotor.com

jeffpas

Jan 2, 2023
I've seen a discussion online where someone mentioned taking the cap off the stock Chinese kit muffler and stuffing it with steel wool, which makes it run significantly quieter.
Has anybody done this, and did it work? If so is it safe, how tightly should it be packed. And would it have to be changed out or cleaned regularly?

Somebody else said, "The best thing to pack the exhaust with is fiberglass (like a glass pack muffler). Use a coarse type of fiberglass sheet like deck cloth to wrap the baffle... don't actually pack the can with it."

I have no idea what the 2nd is referring to. Make sense to anybody........?

I am pretty concerned about the bike making too much noise. I am either in wisdom or folly, putting a 2 stroke bike together and hope to use it as emergency backup transportation to get to work across town if my car breaks down. Its better than walking! I understand 4 stroke engines are more reliable, but they're just too damn heavy to be practical.
Almost all 10 speeds have a weight limit of 250lbs and I'd be pushing it even with a 2 stroke engine, myself and possible some moderate load on the back rack. And I can't afford one of those blowtire monster mountain bikes those start at $600 or a 2nd car, so this is it.

Last edited:
Reactions: EZL and fasteddy

jeffpas

Jan 2, 2023
Well I'm still waiting on parts I've never started mine yet so I don't know how loud it will be. I just wondered if anybody ever tried this with the steel wool. I guess not.

furweider691

Jan 17, 2023
I use the glass pack, it looks like the stuff you would put under a Christmas tree, like a white blanket. It makes it very quiet, just wrap it round the baffle once .

Reactions: Untame and jeffpas

Mossy

May 20, 2022
A stainless steel pot scrubber might last longer than steel wool... I have a FMF exaust that's basically hardware cloth packed in there... Use the sos pads for cleaning the engine

jeffpas

Jan 2, 2023
I use the glass pack, it looks like the stuff you would put under a Christmas tree, like a white blanket. It makes it very quiet, just wrap it round the baffle once .
How long does this last? Do you have to change it out now and then

Mossy

May 20, 2022
Eventually it will get soaked in oil and be a mess it won't blows out like you have a V8 cherry bomb

daveet6666

Nov 3, 2015
Omaha ne
I've seen a discussion online where someone mentioned taking the cap off the stock Chinese kit muffler and stuffing it with steel wool, which makes it run significantly quieter.
Has anybody done this, and did it work? If so is it safe, how tightly should it be packed. And would it have to be changed out or cleaned regularly?

Somebody else said, "The best thing to pack the exhaust with is fiberglass (like a glass pack muffler). Use a coarse type of fiberglass sheet like deck cloth to wrap the baffle... don't actually pack the can with it."

I have no idea what the 2nd is referring to. Make sense to anybody........?

I am pretty concerned about the bike making too much noise. I am either in wisdom or folly, putting a 2 stroke bike together and hope to use it as emergency backup transportation to get to work across town if my car breaks down. Its better than walking! I understand 4 stroke engines are more reliable, but they're just too damn heavy to be practical.
Almost all 10 speeds have a weight limit of 250lbs and I'd be pushing it even with a 2 stroke engine, myself and possible some moderate load on the back rack. And I can't afford one of those blowtire monster mountain bikes those start at $600 or a 2nd car, so this is it.
Yes and i blew my engine on mt first bike

Testname111

May 20, 2021
Quiet is nice but I like to be heard by cars, my bbr thrust exhaust its loud I can be head 2 blocks away or more with my minarelli vertical ;)

Reactions: Mossy

Mossy

May 20, 2022
The exhaust on a 2 stroke is complicated... The size and shape of everything the amount of back pressure... The lengths of the pipes before and after the belly section... Side or end bleed ... Difference is going to effect the powerband when and how long it hits... The lengths and diameter of the intake matter also... Reed or piston port... When everything works in harmony it's great... Unfortunately that's going to be rare in the 'looks good' world of motorized bicycle...
At least it's about just getting the thing to run so that's simple... A moped exhaust for the jog 50 and some welding to fit on the bike is going to be an easy quiet upgrade with the muffler for that... A jet change... Everything you change needs a jet change... Or at least an adjustment... The big thing about 2 smoking is it's going to run great too lean... Not for long but it will... Being patient to allow the changes to mellow out is something... Always staying in the Rich fuel and rich oil condition just for safety then after tanks of breaking in and fouled plugs and a cold plug just for breaking in... Then after that use a leaner mix hotter plug and you haven't destroyed your engines just getting it running...