Starting Point: Project Hannibal.

GoldenMotor.com

BadMojo

Dec 30, 2020
LA, CA
Newbie here. 1st build. Not my first bike, but my first motorized bike. And thank you to all of you I have some great tips and resources already. Seriously. I loved looking through the search tools.

Anyway. Rather than take my existing "Track-like" or mountain bikes, I found a great deal on a Kent "Fixe". Which is fine, I like the color and the standard rims. I know, its cheap trash. But perfect for a cheap, "zero fabrication" bike I want to build.

The bike and the "small engine" lend itself to recreating the look of an "ye olde timey" motorbike. I can find the parts and have learned a lot about buying the motor and the stuff I will need to get and do to get a kit working well. Really, just changing the handle bars will do most of it

But I want a springer front fork. So, I'm looking for information on springer front ends for this bike. So has anyone had any experience with these inexpensive springers I see on ebay and amazon?

If this is not a builder forum, or place to ask these questions, let me know.
Thanks.

Yes, I have named the bike already.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I love fixies. I owned one for several years, but I never wanted to motorize it.
The fixed gear will cause problems with pedal starting, braking and cornering.
-I would be looking for a nice sturdy beach cruiser or mountain bike.
-For me, Its easier to put a springer fork on a bike with a threaded headset than a threadless headset. (Google them if you are not sure)
Its just easier to find a springer for the threaded headset (especially at swap meets).

-In spite of all our advice and claimed experience, you should build your motor bike the way you want it.
I think that is the main reason that a motorized bicycle is more fun than a 50cc motor scooter or goped.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Be sure to remove the fixed gear and replace it with a freewheel. Does the bike have two braking mechanism? If not then move on to another project. If all it had was a front brake and the other braking mechanism was fixed gear skidding replacing the fixed gear with a freewheel will mean you'll only have one braking mechanism.

BadMojo

Dec 30, 2020
LA, CA
It was/is one of those that were fixed on one side, but free wheeling single gear on the other. I was going to remove the "fixed" gear side altogether.

I plan on building it my way, and I have already discovered (after posting this) that I will need or rather "can" use a threaded 1 inch springer front. So the next thing I want is a board track style gas tank - aka, not a peanut.

I have found http://sportsmanflyer.com/product-category/parts/

But the prices are more than the motor....