Spokes came out

GoldenMotor.com

Judebox

Nov 13, 2019
Hi, After around a 40km trip 3 spokes have popped out. they havent broken they just came out on the side where the sporcket is. I just need one more trip out of this bike for now. around 20km. If thats not a good idea can I replace the spokes without taking off the sprocket. this is on a 2 stroke bike kit.
Thanks

Zeldanumber17

Oct 26, 2019
You are going to have to remove the sprocket either way. put the 3 back in that came out. Use blue loctite on the threads of the spokes and tighten them all with a spoke tool. Make sure the wheel spins true.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
Did the pop out of the hub or the rim?

If it's the hub, did the pop out because the hub holes got enlarged? If yes, you need a new hub.

If no, and the spokes wiggled around enough to wear the heads down, then you need new spokes.

If the popped out of the rim, did the nipples pull thru the rim? If yes, then you either need a new rim, or new nipples, depending on what wore out.

Did they just loosen up and fall out because it's a crappy wheel and you never adjusted spoke tension?

Then your threads may be stripped on either your nipples or spokes, or both.

Yes, you'll have to remove the sprocket. And the tire. And the tube. And the rim strip.

And DON'T EVER use loctite on your nipples. I mean, you can, since most people nowadays don't understand proper wheel maintenance and just wait till their spokes fall out and then replace the whole wheel with another piece of crap one, but if you build and maintain your own wheels, you know you're gonna have to true them at some point and don't want to fight every damn nipple because they're all gunked up with loctite.

Edit: every time it says "the" instead of "they," in that pile of words I typed, is because this site uses some f'd up autocorrect system that makes it impossible to type a simple sentence without it sounding retarded.

Judebox

Nov 13, 2019
Did the pop out of the hub or the rim?

If it's the hub, did the pop out because the hub holes got enlarged? If yes, you need a new hub.

If no, and the spokes wiggled around enough to wear the heads down, then you need new spokes.

If the popped out of the rim, did the nipples pull thru the rim? If yes, then you either need a new rim, or new nipples, depending on what wore out.

Did they just loosen up and fall out because it's a crappy wheel and you never adjusted spoke tension?

Then your threads may be stripped on either your nipples or spokes, or both.

Yes, you'll have to remove the sprocket. And the tire. And the tube. And the rim strip.

And DON'T EVER use loctite on your nipples. I mean, you can, since most people nowadays don't understand proper wheel maintenance and just wait till their spokes fall out and then replace the whole wheel with another piece of crap one, but if you build and maintain your own wheels, you know you're gonna have to true them at some point and don't want to fight every damn nipple because they're all gunked up with loctite.

Edit: every time it says "the" instead of "they," in that pile of words I typed, is because this site uses some f'd up autocorrect system that makes it impossible to type a simple sentence without it sounding retarded.
You are going to have to remove the sprocket either way. put the 3 back in that came out. Use blue loctite on the threads of the spokes and tighten them all with a spoke tool. Make sure the wheel spins true.
Thanks for the replies, The spokes actually were broken near the grommets. I'm wondeering if i should get a whole new tyre, maybe a mountain bike one. or just replace the spokes. would this happen again?

Zeldanumber17

Oct 26, 2019
Thanks for the replies, The spokes actually were broken near the grommets. I'm wondeering if i should get a whole new tyre, maybe a mountain bike one. or just replace the spokes. would this happen again?
Try a better quality wheel. Anything with a shimano cassette should be decent enough for 1000~ miles.