Spoke gauges and spoke hole sizes.

GoldenMotor.com

JCraven94

Jul 29, 2017
Hey guys, just got my hubs in for my wheels, was wondering about spoke hole sizes on the hub and how they correlate to the spokes themselves. Just want to make sure all of my parts are compatible before I order spokes. My front hub, which is a Shimano disc brake hub, has 2.5mm spoke holes. The rear, which is a coaster brake, has 3mm. Was wondering what these sizes correlate to when it comes to the spokes. I know I want to run 12g on the rear, and I'm pretty certain the hub I ordered is for 12g spokes. I'm assuming the front would have to run 14g? Also, do the spoke gauges affect the fitment into the rim at all? I have a pair of Stolen Rampage double walled hoops on the way, and I haven't been able to find info on the spoke hole sizes in the wheel. Does it matter? Or are the nipples adjusted to fit depending on the spoke? Any info would be appreciated.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
The larger the spoke, the bigger the holes. 12g nipples are about twice the diameter of 14g. most hubs and rims can accommodate one size larger (or smaller) spoke or nipple.

All hubs and rims can be drilled as long as there's enough metal on the hub flange for a larger hole. I've done it plenty of times, and it's common practice in the bicycle industry.

Unless your rims have eyelets inserted in the spoke holes, you can drill them.

Hubs used to be forged, and were a pain to drill thru, but nowadays it's pretty easy.