Souped up EVG bike

GoldenMotor.com

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
I had scored this EVG bike from craiglist a while back(early 2012). Battery was toast and swapped in A123's in it's place and used it to pull a kids trailer around. I then swapped over my old equipment from my mountain bike to the EVG bike. Took me about 4 hours to do the swap and make it look clean.

Bike is running on 18s2p 5000mah right now. I only use about 2400mah going to work at max speed. I charge at work if needed.

Top speed was 40mph a tailwind and 20s1p. 49.6mph on 24s2p 5000mah lipo pack. 37 MPH otherwise which is plenty fast for me.

I was suprise to see how small the stock controller really was and that the horn was a 24V unit.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
The Lyen 12fet sensorless controller took the place of the stock brushed controller. I had to knock a tab flat for the controller to sit nice.

I made a small adapter for the brake cutoff to work. No other mods were needed.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
his pic shows the A123's installed.

Currently have a 5 speed freewheel installed and thinking about swapping in a 7speed 11T-28T freewheel in it's place.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
It rides very well with the Pie. The rear rack mostly carries a spare tube and my bike lock. 26x2.3 is the biggest tire that will fit inside the frame.

Here's my current settings

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
Here are my new settings with 24s2p lipo. Torque has been toned down a lot. The bike doesn't cut off anymore with this settings at 100% throttle. I'm use this setting when I bike with other bikers around me. These setting feels like how my old ebay kit accelerated.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
I bought a used 6 speed Regina extra freewheel and goes from 12-17T. The chain doesn't rub on the frame anymore, as it did with the 11T 7speed freewheel.

I upped the battery Amp to 65 and the Phase Amps to 140. Bike takes off smooth in my 2nd 57% speed now. 100% still cuts out if I hammer the throttle. That happens when running above what the controller is designed for.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
I think Lee Iacocca would be proud to see what you have done with his e-bike, again nice work. curious are you an electrical engineer or anything or all self taught, your work is amazing. going to look up the free wheel you have on their, i may have to order one for my magic pie

Mannhouse51

Jun 2, 2011
West Michigan
Your bike is super sharp ! Every now and then I see an EV Global e-bike on craigslist...and every time I call I'm either a day or an hour too late..LOL. My timing will be right one of these day's . They look like a really well built machine.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
The EVG is a nice bike to ride. It has nice frame layout and very stable at high speeds. Make sure you find the one with the dual crown fork.
I have another EVG frame that is waiting for a setup. I'll probably do a strip down build on that one.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
Lyen has great service and always answered all my goofy questions. I have 6 of his controllers. He even does repairs when you blow them. Just tell him exactly what your building and he'll suggest you what you will need. The ability to program them is a big bonus. You can get a bit more power out of them when you build up the power traces with some more copper. He's in San Francisco and ships out quick.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
Build me a battery pack from a bunch of leftover 18650 batteries. Took a while to put together and balance out. I wired it up as two 8s packs in 4p config.

snellemin

Feb 4, 2014
Spring TX
12.5 mile commute with the 18s4p 18650 battery pack that is made with leftover cells. Swapped out the fat Michelin tires. Rear has 26x2.1 and the front has 26x2.0 size tires. 40 PSI front and back.