Socal newb with a 70's Columbia Two seater..

GoldenMotor.com

forties

Jun 2, 2017
compton
Over the past weekend picked up a 2 stroke motor kit from Norm at Venicemotorbikes. He was kind enough to direct me to the forum and give me some pointers. Going to start off on something simple, an older rigid mountain bike. Have a couple of boys that should have fun with it. We have messed around with motorcycles, scooters and pedal bikes before but this is our first time with a gas bicycle. After we get some miles under our belts I hope to get around to motoring our Tandem and a maybe some other stuff.

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy 40s, welcome!

It's kind of addicting. I look at every thing and think about how to motorize. Shopping carts, bar stools, kid's tricycle LoL.

Have fun and again, welcome!

forties

Jun 2, 2017
compton
I hear that. I'd love to build a 2 stroke front wheel drive kick scooter... like a goped stand up type. With these tiny motors I don't think the weight on the front end would be any kind of issue.

forties

Jun 2, 2017
compton
Started the mtb last night. Progress ran into a wall when our bicycle chain breaker wouldn't fit. That is pretty much the only thing left to do..

On the stand up kick scooter.. I like to do it trail style with suspension and knobbies, maybe all wheel drive with twin motors. I think that would be a fun ride. Don't think its possible to make the suspension pivot on the same axis as the motor sprocket.. curious what are people doing for chain tension on suspension stuff.

forties

Jun 2, 2017
compton
Cut the chain last night. Bike is great fun!! Power is pretty impressive from these compact motors.. Actually I wouldn't mind a larger rear sprocket to gear it for easy cruising mph and smoother launching.

forties

Jun 2, 2017
compton
Classic old mountainbike worked out so well for our first one. Highly recommended. I think I'd like a suspension fork for the next one.. Just because with the extra speed and weight it would be nice. Maybe a suspension seat post also..

I'm really glad we didn't go with our beach cruiser because of the brakes. This thing stops very well.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Suspension really makes for a much better ride!

If ya add Springer forks and a lay back, bent seat post, ya can ride all day. As long as your not leaning on the handelbars.

Quick rides, not real important but for commuting or long rides. Makes a world of difference.