deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
is building a new bike as simple as:

1. What size engine?

2. What bike do I use for the platform?

3. Then just wing it,

or is there more detailed planning before you make that first move to begin.

I bounce around like a pinball when I build.

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
Will the wife flip out when I get a new package in the mail?

How do I tell the wife I NEED a new bike?

I hope the new build goes just as good if not better than the last.

I better check the forum first to see if anyone had problems with the bike I want.

LordMaximo

Aug 31, 2008
High Plains Desert, Roy UT
I take my wife over to the local thrift stores when I go browsing for frames. The bikes are always less then $10.00 and we seem to get great deals for the kids. So, as long as I let her pick up some knick-knaks while we are out, she could care less on what style of bike I bring home. All my kids have really super rides, and non over $15.00.
I also chech out the garbage sales on the weekends, then go by the locations on Mondays, or at least call on Monday, before they call the local thrift store to come and haul their junk away. I bought a real nice mountain bike / cruiser for my 9 year old daughter last winter, only paid $5.00 for a $150.00 full suspension, 21 speed kids intermediate rider.
Now she has seen some of the motorized rides and wants the conversion to her bike.

So, you have several options. First plan your coarse, meaning draw it out and write it down on paper. Nothing like NOT having a definate plan/ blue-print to your intentions. Or, you can get creative and go purchase materials to build your special dream machine. Only makes sense to have a welder handy and table to build a jig/ fixture so you get it all correct.
This actually saves the time of finding a sturdy chassis from all the running around to the local thrift stores. :cool:
I prefer flea market ventures, it sometimes pays off, and other times the wife wins 100%.
Good luck on the adventure, I could go on forever, but I am sure you have a good idea brewing for now. Have a great day, Maximo