Skinny Tire Bike

GoldenMotor.com

Shameless54

Sep 11, 2010
Lewisville, Texas
Can you put a friction drive on a skinny tire bike? Schwinn Le Tour with new commuter handle bars.

On the DAX rear mount chain drive? How much do they cost? What is the trick for navigating on their site?

Shameless, the 62 year old kid

drn2

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Call Duane, his number is in the header in some funky color. Think of his sight as a photographic inventory, look around, then call him. Duane will be happy to answer your questions.

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
I don't think Dax sells the rear mount chain drive kit anymore. That was years ago. Everything is on the first page except parts. There is a button you push by each item to purchase it. If no button is there its probably not in stock or you have to call and special order it. I never ordered from Dax but that's how it seems to me I been checking them out for about 8 years or so and only heard good things never a bad word. Oh, and it seams to me you could put a friction drive on any tire but some people say offroad tires don't work to good but people say all kinds of stuff and don't even know what THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT

Last edited:

jeffyh

Nov 28, 2015
Madison, NJ
EDIT: OR COMPLETELY DISREGARD CAUSE I COMPLETELY DERPED ON WHAT I THOUGHT YOU MEANT BY FRICTION DRIVE.

Took a look at pics of the bike and it just looks like standard road geometry and spacing. I had a time trying to just fit the engine rear mount cause there's barely any room between the wheel and the seat tube.

Depending on your seattube/downtube angle, you might run into the same issues I did and have to do some serious playing to find a descent angle to let your air filter and muffler fit as well as getting a chain line that isn't going to hit the bottom side of the engine casing coming from the sproket. I honestly don't know how you'd fit a friction drive setup in there if it's anything like my frame.

Here's a lil on the problems I faced when building up a SS. Might want to consider as you're figuring out spacing on your build.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=60356
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=61311

Good luck! :)

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise
Can you put a friction drive on a skinny tire bike? Schwinn Le Tour with new commuter handle bars.

On the DAX rear mount chain drive? How much do they cost? What is the trick for navigating on their site?

drn2
Hi shameless, I don't know about a friction drive, but i have a center mount chain drive for 115, whole kit. the one i got from aurelio tech is now 130, but still a good kit.

Last edited:

xXNightRiderXx

Jan 12, 2017
Boise

drn2
I have the above kit mounted on my CX bike. The only problems i've had were when hitting (small for cars) major bumps in the road. my current tires are 700x32c. recommend getting schwalbe offroad tires when motorizing any bike with tires 700c or otherwise. heard nothing but good things from schwalbe. another thing you may want to consider is buying from amazon for their shipping. I haven't seen any friction drive kits in a few months on amazon, but you may get lucky. If you buy any generic engines though, first thing you should do is replace the exhaust pipe. Mine cracked at the weld and fell off. Also, the CDI or magneto is bound to be dead, so check both before install. sorry about the double posting, btw.

Last edited: