single speed bike converts to multi speed?

Discussion in 'Motorized Bicycle General Discussion' started by dumpstercrusher, Jul 7, 2013.

1. kdaddy1980

kdaddy1980 New Member

i use 6 speed gears on all my bikes you just have to swap over the cables and deraillers, sometimes they dont exactly fit right and need small modifications but ive had 3 cruisers so far with 6 speed rear wheels it helps a lot with pedaling when you have an extra 25 lbs of motor on the bike

2. KenX

KenX New Member

That SBP shift kit is very cool. I have a 7 speed compliments of KC. Well, I did pay for it. I just don't see how anyone could have a motorized bike without a sleek gear changing mechanism. Yes, they do function very smoothly. I'm sure there is some expertise required to install one correctly.

3. kevyleven007

kevyleven007 Active Member

They sell derailleur adapters for coaster brake and fixed gear frames dropouts. Just look on ebay. If you can bend the rear end apart more you can do it. Disc brake adapters can also be found on ebay. Caliper brakes for 26 in cruiser frames are easy to find at streetlowrider.com or bikepartsusa.com. So the answer is Yes if its worth the trouble for you sure you can.