Short pipe dampener for 99 cents

GoldenMotor.com

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
Sack a tomatoes California
Your local dollar store has small refillable tiki torches. Bamboo holder with the refillable metal can with the wick on top. Take top off flatten the threads where the lid screws on, drill enough hole to allow the exhaust out slide it on the end of the pipe and hose clamp on. I went from 102 DB to 92. Just enough to keep my neighbors from complaining about my exhaust pipe.

Pipe is an f2 thrust I cut re angled and welded. I used metal putty to clean it up and seal any possible leaks that may be there.

Attachments

Reactions: MEASURE TWICE

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Once back in the mid 70's I extended my Briggs muffler using metal flexible conduit under the seat of the mini bike out the back. The muffler probably still did some noise reduction.

Just, I know it created a lower frequency sound. Less irritating. I could not senses any strong leak of exhaust gas from the spiraled metal conduit, but it was really meant for electrical.

I showed a similar setup with a Briggs 5S engine, but with an old sleeping bag wrapped around the muffler and pipe. It would have burned if run too long. But just to see, at idle speed, everyone was amazed, all that could be heard was the cranking of the engine and no exhaust noise. A fiber glass mat in place of the cloth, might of had some promise, but never took it that far. It was just testing the engine bolted onto a piece of plywood.

MT

Reactions: Wevil Kenevil

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
Sack a tomatoes California
Yeah I was looking at some flex copper pipe for like a water heater my friend was scrapping. It looks like it's thick enough to last a summer's worth of ridding. I think this is going to be my next experiment. I have the flanges and everything to make it. What I want is some of the stainless steel braided stuff they use on the poopoo flex exhaust. What do you suppose that they use ? It's soft enough to flex but resists burning.

Last edited:

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Copper water pipe that is corrugated is bad for heat from engine. Great I have a spark arrestor muffler screen and the pipe comes apart while riding for just a week.

I did see some stainless steel stuff that was very expensive by mail order. Maybe an auto supply store could have the stuff your looking for too.

I ended up using the solid cast iron plumbing stuff, extra heavy though, and it has the elbows and locking nuts, so I achieve angles needed and ran it under my banana seat out the back.

Neat to see you getting the stuff sorted out for a couple of bikes your building currently!

Video when the bikes are ready:)

Reactions: Wevil Kenevil