Second build

GoldenMotor.com

Larry Trotter

Nov 26, 2017
bike.jpg

After my test build on a Walmart chepie I did the one I wanted for use in Arizona using a Big 5 Sporting goods flipflop hum Fixie. They were on sale for $109 normal (they say) $159.00. Rode it today and it seems to work well. After removing the fixed sprocket (the outer lock ring is left hand thread and the sprocket it right hand thread) the 44 tooth sprocket fit perfect with just a credit card thickness around it to keep it centered. My muffler didn't fit well and I adjusted this one with a large hammer, bought another that I will have properly bent to fit better, it will be here next week. More later. Larry

Larry Trotter

Nov 26, 2017
Just a final update on the build. I cut some off the seat post tube of the frame to lower the seat and also flipped over the connection in the seat to lower it even more. I replaced the handle bars with one with a little rise to it and it seems much more civilized to ride now. I can say it does seem fast to me, on the level it will top out at 32mph which is a little faster than I really feel comfortable. I may put some wider tires on it to take up some of the bumps in the road. Not much else to do on it until next fall in Arizona. Larry

bike2.JPG

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
looks good, I do both those at the seat & also add a quill extender to get bars high & comfortable - I use the sunlite ones and they seem OK and cheap

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Yea. Skinny tires can make for a rough ride.

Some other possible comfort upgrades ya might consider. A layback sear post and higher handlebars. So your not supporting your upper weight by leaning on your arms. Dunno if ya ever rode an MB where you're in a completely upright position and not leaning on your arms or feet, but is a way better ride. Makes a huge difference.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
Never heard of quill extenders and had to look it up. Very cool.
yeah, been using them a lot - mentioned before in a thread here maybe 4 or 5 years back - you'll need a really long 6mm allen to get them tight tho

Reactions: Dan

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Not fer nutton but years back Tom made me a lay-back seat post. This is after many builds but never realized what a difference it makes to not be supporting your own weight by leaning over on the bars. And with the pedals pretty much directly under you so you can more easily use your body weight to power a regular bicycle. It's tiring.

If you are seated back a little so you are in more of a seated position and the pedals are more in front rather than below you. And with the bars leading back for easy reach, just a far more comfortable ride and your not wasting energy leaning.

Not really important for zipping around. But if your gonna be ridding for a while, it makes a huge difference. This is after many builds, too. (live an' learn sorta deal)

Was talking to a buddy who is a biker. A friend of his called and said she was 2 states away. (New England, small states)

He then said ya couldn't do that on his bike. But on her more comfortable, cruiser MC, ya could. For a lot of the reasons above.

Just a musing.... And funny. After playing with these things for 12 years, (had to look that up for a grant to produce kits)

there's always something I can learn. Probably why I still enjoy it so much and reading you folks.

.cptr.