Sealing engine......

GoldenMotor.com

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Well I totally sealed the engine cases at the split with gray silicone....Now the engine is running soo rich I can`t lean it out enough to even ride it.....I tried the needle all the way up,down in the middle,filter, no filter,different baffle configurations,different carb. `s(stock).....I guess I need to solder a jet and redrill it huh....Or take the sealant back off.....I sealed the cases because my other motor was leaking there like a chimney,boat,ballon,whatever it is....So before I installed this motor, thats what I did.....
Paul.....

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
File 2 or 3mm of the bottom of the slide.

Measure and duplicate the cutaway on the slide.

Works well for those carbs that are too rich, gets the needle back in the middle again.

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
take the slide, put it in a vise and file the bottom of it shorter by 2 or 3mm

measure it with a caliper before and after filing.

make sure it has the same profile ( the cutaway )

this leans out the carb by 2 or 3 needle positions.

Study a 2 stroke tuning guide if this means nothing

I would start with Gordon Jennings 2 Stroke Tuners Handbook.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
thats some good reading there.....
Thanks.....
I guess these motors are put together taking into consideration that the motor itself leaks massive air....I sealed up my spare motor too(new top end)And it is running rich beyond the adjustments of the stock carb.....I even have a round style perf. air filter on it(max. air flow).....And modified slide in the carb.(filed off the bottom )....Plug is just now gwt a DRY black color....At least it`s dry and not wet....Still got a ways to go....I have a CNS carb. coming but I wanted to make sure that sealing up the cases WAS making the motor go real rich, it is....I wouldn`t rec. doing this, because look at the pain in the ass it is.....I even soldered the jet and re drilled to a smaller hole with jet drill bits...
Paul.....

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
File 2 or 3mm of the bottom of the slide.

Measure and duplicate the cutaway on the slide.

Works well for those carbs that are too rich, gets the needle back in the middle again.
Thanks alot for this info you gave me, it worked great...I really had to go pretty far into the slide to get it to lean out enough....Filed the whole edge off the carb slide and more....Needle clip all the way to the top,open k&n type air filter, and expansion chamber exh.....It`s ridable now at least...
P.....

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
I am NEVER GOING TO SEAL UP another egine.....I just got my CNS carb. and it is running soo rich, even with the NT needle in it open air intake, needle clip to top....It must be that I sealed the engine is why it`s so rich in running....At my witts end now.....
Paul....

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I would get a set of smaller jets and go from there. I believe the stock carb uses Dellorto style jets. Not sure about the CNS.

Just think, by sealing up the motor, you're now running rich with the same amount of fuel. This means that you have to lean it out a lot, which means you're using less fuel, which means better gas mileage :) And I bet it'll have a little more power...

I should do this, I just don't want to mess with tuning that much right now.

If you haven't done it yet, make sure the piston skirt clears the intake all the way at TDC. If not, notch it. might want a bigger intake too. And maybe a tuned expansion chamber.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
While waiting for my new kit to arrive I started reading all these posts about grinding this and filing that and had so many plans. When my motor arrived I looked at it, so nice and clean just sitting in the box and I don't have the heart to do a thing to it. My last one lasted for over a year of daily use before the cops took it from me (drive under suspension) and I was happy with the way it ran, never once letting me down.
I'm just waiting on my Jackshaft kit now.
Too late now but I guess I should have worked out a deal with jason or somebody and had it shipped to them to play on. Maybe next time.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
scratg
While waiting for my new kit to arrive I started reading all these posts about grinding this and filing that and had so many plans. When my motor arrived I looked at it, so nice and clean just sitting in the box and I don't have the heart to do a thing to it. My last one lasted for over a year of daily use before the cops took it from me (drive under suspension) and I was happy with the way it ran, never once letting me down.
I'm just waiting on my Jackshaft kit now.
Too late now but I guess I should have worked out a deal with jason or somebody and had it shipped to them to play on. Maybe next time.
YES I wish I would have left it alone.....:-||

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Ya I know....I did have it right before I started hopping it up with all this go fast stuff,LOL....The jet is a .026 as far as jet drill bit size, so I need a .024 or a .022....I hate to solder it up and do it that way , seems real sloppy....I never can get just the right amount of solder in there....
Paul....