Running E-85 Ethanol in my 66cc

GoldenMotor.com

Backwoods1989

Nov 10, 2021
I have been tinkering around with this engine a minute and I did tighten the squish clearance to 0.030. Running a DONSP1986 5.5cc HC head. The engine hits perty hard, but I would like the burn to be cleaner and cooler. Ethanol can do that for me.
I am not concerned with a few drops of water, I am not by any means a "nail biter" over a few little things. Ethanol can be great if your components can tolerate it. Gasoline is as much a solvent as ethanol IMO. Just in a different way. My fuel lines will be updated from the fish aquarium tubing stock.
I'm actually creating this thread because I myself couldn't find any other information on it.

Will be running Amsoil saber, IF it mixes. I haven't actually started the process yet. I do have 2 gallons of e-85 on hand. I will first put a small amount of ethanol in an empty bottle or something and make sure the oil will mix with it, First. So that's going to take a minute. By the end of the day, it should be running on alcohol. If the Amsoil doesn't mix with it, I will have to try another ester based oil. Apparently ester bases will mix well, synthetics. I'm currently running a 58 jet, which is surprisingly rich on this engine, I think I'll end up running a 72 or so with ethanol. About a 25% increase from current, being slightly rich at the 58, should put me spot on with a 72 or 74 with ethanol.
I am determined to make this happen. Yes I'm aware of all the "dangers" of ethanol. I think some of those "dangers" were started by oil companies to dog on ethanol.

Backwoods1989

Nov 10, 2021
The first test came out good. Amsoil Saber 2 stroke DOES indeed mix well with e85. That's all I needed to be sure of. I feel much more comfortable with it now. It did have a little itty bit of trouble mixing at first. I think it was because it was cold this morning. Once given a real chance, the oil blended in perfectly. I actually put more oil in than a 100:1 ratio, I just wanted to make sure the oil was indeed mixable in various parts.

Attachments

Reactions: Sidewinder Jerry

Backwoods1989

Nov 10, 2021
In theory, if my oil ratio is 100:1, with ethanol running a 25-30% larger jet, my motor would actually be getting more oil per stroke than it would with gas. Hmmm.

Testname111

May 20, 2021
I been thinking about switching to e85 as well in my minarellie build :) cleaner and cheaper, ..... I'm already using almost straight vegetable oil for my oil, might as well go all the way green ;)

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
I been thinking about switching to e85 as well in my minarellie build :) cleaner and cheaper, ..... I'm already using almost straight vegetable oil for my oil, might as well go all the way green ;)
Let us know how long it takes for your Crank Seals to rot LOL

The reason why ya don't use ethanol in a 2 stroke is because it dilutes the oil and your engine don't get properly lubed, Yes a water barrier will get on the bearings,

Ethanol is a death sentence for a 2 stroke