Riding the hills in Colorado

GoldenMotor.com

MountainRanger

Nov 9, 2010
Pagosa Springs Colorado
Hi.
I am new to this forum as well as the motorized bike genre. I just moved into a very hilly part of the state, as well as a very cold and snowy part. I ride my bike everywhere and do everything on two wheels, but now that i dont have a vehicle, i need a kick for going up the 7%-10% hills. I am not motor savvy, but I am researching different engine types. I came here to ask what would be the best motor or preferably engine kit, that will handle my terrain? i would like a 4 stroke, easy to install/maintain, a bit of horsepower, and be able to go around 30-40 mph engine kit (must be able to carry huge loads). Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Here are a few pics of my Bike i would like to convert. Want to place the engine in the middle (water-cages have been removed).

Thanks!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Use the search feature. Type in 'four stroke engine kits'. Plenty of reading to get you on the way.
By the way, welcome to the forum. There's several of us Colorado riders here and one kit supplier that I know of. Good luck.
Tom

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
I ride the cheap HT 2 strokes with a SBP shifter kit, smaller drive gear, larger rear 1st gear (34 tooth) and I can climb Colorado hills with ease. I have never had an engine fail on me in Colorado. I've only had one HT fail and that was in Florida with a single speed.

PS I've had more issues with reliability with the shifter kit (2nd gen) than with the engine. Chain stretch and alignment is critical or the drive chain jumps. I've had this happen to me on my final ride of the season and it was very frustrating having a chain jump every 200 feet. I'm hoping the 3rd gen shift kit fixes this issue.

Dirt Nerd

Apr 15, 2009
Erie, Co
Welcome! I've yet to test mine on them hills in our fair state of Colorado. I even know a few folks around your parts. Good luck!

Gary Papesh

Nov 11, 2010
Joliet,IL
Hi Guys, I've got a newbie question: What does HT stand for? BTW Dirt Nerd, That Whizzer will be sweet when it's done. Looks like the dirt and grease helped keep the rust away. Those tank decals are in very good shape though, surprisingly so.
Sincerely, Gary P.

Last edited:

noco

Sep 9, 2009
fort collins colorado
welcome....better get some snow tires for the pass!!!!i would go with the 2 stroke....they are also easy maintanance and as long as you stick with the big gear or go with a shift kit you should be fine....now 30-40mph...that is a bit of an exageration for a stock motor and gear....upper 20's yeah but youd be taching it to hit that....with your terrain and the large loads your expecting id sacrafice speed for some gear reduction...try the 44 tooth first but you may consider a 50....anyway there is allot of knowledge here that can help you and it may just become an infectious hobby(check the laws and leg. section back about 8 months ago the laws changed favoring us. you may want to print the law if they are not used to seeing mb's)

Last edited: