Retro style Indian

Discussion in 'Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles' started by Rusty_S85, May 6, 2017.

1. Rusty_S85

Rusty_S85 Member

I'm looking at using a Grubee Aluminum Motorized frame the GTA with curved down tube for the basis of a retro style Indian cruiser build.

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on buying the frame but I have one major question for those that have used this style of frame for a build similar to this.

I will be using disc brakes front and rear (found a dual cable lever that can be used to operate front and rear discs) and will be using a single speed bicycle drive which means I should go with the 135mm frame width. But I am wondering can one use the wider 150mm frame width with a single speed set up?

I don't want to spend $170 for this frame and realize I should have gone the opposite way.

2. Rusty_S85

Rusty_S85 Member

Well I am still waiting on my frame I ordered it from Raw-Motors last Saturday, still haven't gotten a confirmation of shipment and I still haven't received it. Will try giving them a call to check up on it how ever.

In the mean time this week I've been wraping my head around colors.

So far for me its a toss up between Dandilion Yellow, Amaranto Red, Acapulco Blue, and Agusta Green.

I will be using a double springer fork set which I will order once I receive my frame. I will be stripping the black paint off the forks so I can paint the forks the same color as the frame. Only down side is I cant find a threaded double springer fork in 1 1/8" for this frame so I guess I will have to make due with a thread-less set. I did how ever find a vintage looking stem mount that I will scuff up and paint to match the rest of the bike.

3. wret

wret Member

4. Rusty_S85

Rusty_S85 Member

Thanks for the link. I saw thoses but heard people with the skyhawk gt2a frames had problems using headsets other than what came in the kit.

If there wouldnt be a problem id just buy a threaded 1" double springer for and the conversion and call it done.

5. Rusty_S85

Rusty_S85 Member

Well i might not be building anything ive been trying to get confirmation of shipment on my frame from raw motors which i found out is the same business by the names gasbike.net and kingsmotorbikes.

Ive called 4 times today and left a message looks like ill be going to my credit union to get my money refunded. Aside from that this has a bad taste in my mouth and i just dont think i want to try buying from another company to deal with this again.

6. wret

wret Member

Don't get discouraged. There may be a few bad apples but I am actually amazed at how reliable most obscure vendors are. Putting together my bike, I made over 100 separate purchases from probably 50 different vendors in maybe half a dozen countries and had only one deal go bad. With all the proliferation of reliability ratings its pretty hard for thieves to perpetuate.

7. Wheelwright Restorations

Don't trow in the towel yet Rusty, MANY of us have been burnt at one time or another. A simple google search of the company before you buy will save trouble. I did the one you ordered from. Not good!

8. Rusty_S85

Rusty_S85 Member

True but this guy and his three sites have quite a bit if bad review on their customer service. I just dont know if its been shipped or not. I dont even know who is delevering it.

I guess im so used to dealing with the auto industry that im not accustomed to lack of customer service notifying you when your item shipped along with a tracking number.

9. Rusty_S85

Rusty_S85 Member

Yep, i wished i did some searching for this company but im not used to this. I deal with the automotive industry and you can get a hold of people with no problem.

Guess its a learning experience.

10. Wheelwright Restorations

I do Automotive Restorations.
    I sent a rare Shiebler carburetor To the KARB KING check him out
    I only got it back after I threatened to drive down to PA with my motorcycle club and have a chat and help him look for it.
    Flags should have gone up when they ask for a postal money order.
    For $175 he sprayed a can of carb cleaner on it.
    You can get burnt by any one. Check out the charity's that give a whole 5% of what the collect to the cause!!

11. Rusty_S85

Rusty_S85 Member

See i do all my own work i only buy parts and supplies might be why i have ran into this before.