replacing mouting studs

GoldenMotor.com

m0ck5

Jan 26, 2009
jefferson city missouri
i got some pieces of all thread today from westlakes and im going to replace all the studs on the motor, are there set screws for the mounting studs or should i just unscrew all of them w/ some vice grips and should i use some medium or high strength thread lock?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Double nutting is a good suggestion....And,yes, use Loctite. Read the lables. Some threadlock products will not harden, some will. Some require heat to break apart once cured.
If you haven't already installed the all-thread I'll suggest using bolts, preferably grade 8, instead. Measure the length of threads into the block of the stud you removed, add what you need to attach the mount and buy Allen head cap screws. Most all-thread, unless you purchased grade 8, is fairly soft stuff. Probably better than the Chinese items but not nearly as strong as grade 8. DO NOT USE STAINLESS STEEL FASTENERS. They're pretty, but have no extra strength
Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
good info bill. I am thinking of replaceing the bolts on my new engine with the pack that SBP sells. are these any good??
Thanks
Dunca
SBP's fastener kit looks okay. They say the items are grade 5 or better. Grade 5 is a good compromise between grade 8 and the softer metals used in hardware store quality fasteners. Typically (but not always) when you see bolts, screws etc. that have a black anodized look to them they are grade 8 fasteners. It appears that SBP's kit has both grade 5 and 8 items. It should serve you well and probably cheaper than buying the individual items from a fastener supply house.
Tom

m0ck5

Jan 26, 2009
jefferson city missouri
what are the 2 screws that are real close to each other on the right side at the front for? and i think there are 2 more like them at the rear of the motor under the driven cluch gear

Chitty

Jun 3, 2008
Souris Manitoba Canada
I replaced the mounting bolts on mine and have no problems since. I just got some bolts from my spare parts bin and re-threaded them. The ones that come with the kits are soft as butter.