Replacing Magnet, new magnet has notch vertical rather than offset?

GoldenMotor.com

izzyfurshizzy

Aug 14, 2017
Long story short, after not getting a spark and replacing the CDI and Magneto multiple times, I finally concluded it must be a weak magnet. New magnet is much stronger than the old one. Problem is that it has the notch/keyway (very close to) vertical rather than at the 1 o'clock position. I'm scared to put it back together and have the timing off. Does anyone know with certainty as to what would happen? In the picture the piston is at top dead center.
FullSizeRender 8.jpg

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
That magnet looks wrong. The grooves in the magnet should line up with the grooves in the magneto when set at one o'clock with the piston at top dead center. It looks like the key was drilled wrong to me. I would send the vendor a picture and ask for another one.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
as near as I can tell from seeing a lot of these, the factories have moved the slot on the balanced cranks

I'd say the new one is for the balanced crank and you have the older style crank - never tried to mix those as I'm pretty sure it will change timing quite a bit.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
got to thinking a bit and recalled the old CDI units that had thin mounting points and only one connector per wire always read about 4 or 5 degrees advanced over the modern CDI units - using one of those seems to make only a little difference in motor RPM, so you might be able to try that rotor to see what happens