reed kit

GoldenMotor.com

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
So I thru it back 2gether & put in a 27.5 pilot & 85 main jet in. Fired straight up. Idling higher. Quieter, not so much "ring ding". Took it for 15 minute ride, taking it easy with new piston & rings. 85 main jet isnt far off, may need 30 pilot. Comes on strong from 1/3 throttle. Its gunna b quick, I could tell that even taking it easy. I'll grab a couple of new plugs in the morning & get this jetting all sorted & put some decent miles on it. Cheers

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Ok, so I pulled the plug. May need bigger than 85 main jet. I didnt take it over 2/3 throttle as I was taking it easy, so it wasnt 2 where it'd start running outta carb if its 2 lean but by the plug I think it is so I'll get new plugs & have a good go at it this arvo. Cheers

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Well by the time I knocked off this arvo it 2 late 2 do anything but I have set aside 2morra arvo (friday) & all weekend 2 get the jetting properly sorted & give it a decent workout. The next thing then will b 2 liquid cool the head. The RSE design will b easy 2 enclose the cooling fins. I'll put a small thermostat on the exit & run an impeller pump off the reduction gear drive, & use a small raiator with 13lb pressure cap. Coolant will b Ethylene Glycol. Cheers

Last edited:

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
So I put in a 30 pilot & 87.5 main. Havent done the air screw yet. Strong & progressive right thru till it runs flat just under wide open, so I'll put in a 90 main & c how it goes. Venice is right, 100%. If ur thinking reeds, think "Ported Piston & Boost Ported Jug". This is where the gains r, & it is noticeable gains 2. Cheers

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
BTW, the intake floor was lowered 5mm by cutting @ 12 or 13 degrees, not 9 as said b4. This is so it can scavenge right thru 2 the carb when the piston is at the bottom of the stroke. Cheers

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
ok, it had overrev returning 2 idle when blipping the throttle which indicates lean in this area so I put in 32.5 pilot & its good. Nice idle exhaust "blat" & just a little blue smoke. The plug showed still lean a little so I put in 90 main. Very strong down low to 2/3 throttle, very strong. Jetting or needle height still needs work but its close. I'll let it cool & pull the plug. Cheers

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
well the plug aint 2 bad, tho I've noticed with it breathing thru 180 degrees, going up or down 1 jet size has a lot less effect than breathing thru 60degrees. I have a 92.5 main so I'll put that in & tune for best WOT performance between 90 & 92.5, which is the biggest I have, & its got the biggest pilot I have in @ 32.5 but that 1's good so ya can b lucky sometimes. Cheers

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Ok, with 32.5 pilot & 92.5 main jets its good. Very tracable from idle right thru. A 30% power gain, for sure, maybe better. Still slight hiccup @1/3 throttle transition from pilot to main but I havent done the air screw yet & that'll get it sorted. I'll check the plug when cools. Still just not getting WOT quite, but I think its running outta pipe as I extended the header so I'll knock 3/8" off it & c. Cheers

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Well the plug after a good run is a light tan. I wouldnt like it any leaner. Breathing thru 60# changing 1 jet size makes a big difference. Breathing thru 180#, going 1 jet size only makes a small difference so it makes it easier to really dial in properly. I'll order a 95 & 97.5, maybe even a 100 main jet so I can get it spot on. Its acceptable as is, but just. I little richer would b good & run cooler. Cheers

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
So, do I recommend this? Definitely. 4 the cost of reeds, some work with a drill, dremel & carbide cutter, a 10x14x15 small end bearing, a hi comp head, a sizeable upjet & u have a much stronger, smoother motor. Build the cdi I had posted or buy a Jag 1, add a xchamber tuned where u want & a 16mm carb that is tuneable & so much the better. I am very happy with the gains. Cheers

Last edited:

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
I will try 2 get drawings of the piston & cylinder portwork posted as I think that even on a stock motor, for cost, this is definitely a worthwhile mod. I would recommend changing the small end bearing to 10x14x15 as it will b under increase loads right thru, so u dont want the bearing drifting half outta the rod end, & u'd have it that far apart 2 do this anyway. Cheers

Last edited:

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Ok, I've ordered 95, 97.5 & 100 main jets. With the mixture just acceptable I'll wait the few days til they're here, then tune 4 best WOT performance, then do the air screw & needle height & do some good long rides. Its a new piston & rings so it'll loosen up a little, not heaps cause its the same jug with a light hone cross hatching. Then we'll c wot she'll do. Cheers

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Ok, 95, 97.5 & 100 main jets turned up this afternoon, if there's enough time after knock off I'll have a go at, otherwise I got tomorrow off so I'll have time to get the mixture & needle height spot on. Pretty sure these 3 jets will have it covered. Cheers

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Ok, I put in 97.5 main jet, still 32.5 pilot, needle C-clip in the middle of 5 positions, air screw not yet done (VM 16 Mikuni) & took for 15 or 20 minute ride. Some 4 stroking in lower gears when it isnt under load, but not much. I'll let it cool & check the plug, maybe 95 main would b better. Still 1/2 of today left to get it sorted, then give it a really good workout over the weekend. Cheers

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Well its just a shade rich by the plug color so 95 main will b spot on. The air screw is 2 1/8 turns out, where its been from the previous setup but I'll put the 95 main in, get it up to good running temp & do the air screw & needle height & get some decent miles on it. I'm glad I have the 97.5 & 100 main jets, we're still in winter here & its 28 degrees Celcius outside 2day so its gunna b a cracker of a summer. I'll run it a little rich during the hotter months 2 keep it cooller. Seriously, do this mod. Cheers

spanners

Oct 5, 2011
east coast Australia
Thanks for posting all your work with the reed. I bought one and have not been able to get it running how it should, I’m getting better power with out it, I got tired of changing out jets and carb tunning trying to get it Wright, maybe I'll try again at a latter date.

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Hi Spanners, I'm in SE QLD. When I first put them on I had 2 downjet a little & it was touchy gettin it right. After doing all the porting it was a lot easier upjetting as each jet size only makes a small difference. They're pretty easy to do (ports) & its well worth it, heaps stronger right from idle. My motor came from Zbox, I just grabbed a new piston/rings & did that first, then did the old jug with a dremel,,, an honest 30% increase. Cheers

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Hey Spanners, if u have the NT carb with stock air cleaner either get a better air cleaner or drill a heap of holes in the back of the plastic cover. B4 I put the mikuni on I had NT. I had trouble geting it jetted perfectly til I put an SBP aircleaner on & realized the stock 1 had been restricting it at hi rpm. Could get it jetted right straight away & picked up 10kph at least, just from changing air cleaner. Also open up the intake port ceiling to let the upper reed have clearance. Cheers

spanners

Oct 5, 2011
east coast Australia
I have a Rock solid motor, I also did some more port work to it, and it has a delorto clone with the air mixture screw. I played with it for a couple of days trying to get the reed to come in to play , I got a bit frustrated and gave up on it for the time being, I was thinking of trying it with a different carby and after read your post lifting the roof in the intake port. It sounds like you got the results I was trying achieve.
Cheers spanners

ivan H

Oct 8, 2011
australia
Hi Spanners, yeah, opening it up lets the top reed open properly. I cut it @ 90 degrees from the external manifold mating face, depth 8mm, width 20.5mm. Take care not 2 break thru. To really get the gains u need to cut the 2 ports in the piston to same width as ur intake port, & take 5mm of the bottom of the skirt 2 same width. Changes the whole character of the motor & it pulls right from idle. Cheers