Ready for a 4 Stroke second motorized bicycle: Basic questions.

GoldenMotor.com

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Hello everyone. It has been awhile between posts but I am still riding the 2-stroke motorized bicycle and am about to reach 4500 miles on it.
Little has gone wrong and most of what did go bad could have been avoided if I had more experience prior but enough of the learning curve of things.

I thought to ask about constructing a 4-Stroke that I could travel with.

The idea is to jack shaft to a wheel with gearing on an older Schwinn frame.
At work the company provides bicycles for folks to get around on. It's a Winery so we are spread over several acres.
Now there are many stripped down Schwinn that have been retired and they have a wonderful wide open "engine bay." I hope to obtain a frame and start there.

So my questions are the basic and general yes or no kind and I hope you will be so kind as to offer up your insight and opinion.

I envision a 4-stroke motor and jack shaft with perhaps a 5 speed hub and 12 gauge rear spokes. Maybe even a rear wheel shockr.

I read I need to have the engine, clutch, jack-shaft plus all the other things gas tanks and et al. Am I understanding the basics?

This is the general outline I have of a bike I could travel into the foothills with. The Idea is to visit Lake Alpine here and Yosemite which are both 2-3 day rides up and 2-3 day rides back. Naturally camping or motel-ing along the way.

Am I thinking straight? Could a 4-stroke with say a 5-speed hub climb hills well?
What would make for a great traviling bike?

Also do you have a bike like this already or perhaps there is a thread or two I can read?

This will be a ground up effort with careful planning and custom paint.
I have had such a wonderful experience with my Giant Boulder motorized bicycle that I am very willing to do another bike and with much more experience than when I first got the GB-motorized bicycle

Thanks for your input and feel free to talk about your bike and what you did/do. It can't hurt to think things through here so all input is welcome.

Again thank you and thank MotorBycycling.com!

An earlier picture of the 2-Stroke motorized bicycle

Last edited:

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Wow, Perhaps I am trippin' but I remember replies to this thread.

I wonder if I made another or am I dreaming?

Wow trippy nonetheless.. heh I can spell nonetheless so I must be awake.Maybe I was posting about 3 and 5 speed hubs elsewhere ??

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
its a great idea i wish i had more experience with working on 4 stroke bikes im in a smiler boat to you i am going to start a 4 stroker hopefully soon but am taking a "short cut" so to speak useing a pocket bike engine with built in transmission but thats for my love of speed:)

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
if you are going to use a 50cc 4 stroke it would work fine, no bigger or it will blow the freewheel and hub. get a strong mountain bike rear wheel. i think what you want to do is get the sbp jackshaft kit and a 50cc 4 stroke kit. i've heard That's Dax makes a good 4 stroke kit, as well as many other vendors here

mrleo

Aug 16, 2011
cal.
I love my 4 stroke my morini is bad on gas. It goes two times as fast but it costs two times as much and did i say loud.I realy like your idea sounds like fun.
Leo

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Wow, Perhaps I am trippin' but I remember replies to this thread.

I wonder if I made another or am I dreaming?

Wow trippy nonetheless.. heh I can spell nonetheless so I must be awake.Maybe I was posting about 3 and 5 speed hubs elsewhere ??
I have a 4G shift kit 5 spd Internal hub 12g spokes and I can climp hils withl no problem.I am still trying to see if the 5spd is as good as the 3spd sturmey.I would go with a internal hub over a derailuer.You will get alot of surging and parts will wear quicker on the derailuer set up.I do not see a problem going above 50cc with the SBP shift kit and the heavy duty freewheel.The hub might not like it but a derailuer could hold up to it.I am building a 98CC shift kit and will be trying the internal 5 spd hub.

dance1