Rain riding

GoldenMotor.com

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
So, I've found myself riding in the rain both yesterday afternoon and this morning.

Yesterday wasn't too bad. I was lucky I started using my jacket yesterday morning, as it would've been sucky without it. It's just a light pullover jacket, but is water resistant. Unfortunately I was just wearing jeans so those got wet. it rained for the first 1/3 of my 8mi trip, but the water on the road did me in for the rest of the way.

This morning I was prepared. I saw it was raining as I was getting ready, so I made some adjustments. Wore some mildly water-resistant pants, a synthetic long-sleeve shirt, and my pullover jacket. Also switched to boots instead of tennis shoes. Threw my jeans in the backpack so I could change at work, and put my sandals in there in case my feet got soaked. Also switched to some amber-lens glasses instead of my dark sunglasses, since it was a bit darker out this morning.

Well, the pants didn't hold up well, I got soaked. Jacket worked wonders as usual. Feet got soaked through the boots as well. I found myself wishing I had something to cover my face like a ski mask or something, and I wish I brought a beanie and gloves. Boy was it cold riding this morning.

The main thing I noticed though - I need fenders. Totally. I think not having fenders caused me to get a lot more wet than I should have.

I used my front and rear lights so there would be no issues seeing me, hopefully they didn't get damaged from the soaking.

I think I need to do something with my air cleaner. It seemed like I would occasionally get water in there or something. I'd be cruising along and all of a sudden I'd have like no power and the motor would bog down. Then after a little bit it's back to normal. Currently the openings in the air cleaner are pointing up.

Summer is starting to draw to a close, so I'm coming up with a list to prepare for less-than-stellar weather.

Fenders. Definitely need fenders.
Make sure motor is sealed well. (magneto, cdi, connections, etc)
Make air cleaner splash-resistant.
Seal up head/tail lights.
Gloves. Find something that will still give you good feeling of the controls.
Face/ears/head covering. Ski mask and beanie possibly.
Make sure to always have amber or yellow or clear lens glasses in the backpack.
Good water proof or resistant jacket.
Good water proof or highly resistant pants.
Shoes or boots that won't let the water in.
A change of clothes in the backpack.

I think that's a decent list if you are heading out and it is raining. The Boy Scout list (always be prepared list :) ) would be something like:

All the motor and bike stuff
Always have amber or yellow or clear glasses on hand
Keep a jacket in the backpack

Anybody got any other tips for riding in inclement weather?

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
I'm installing a set of Apex plastic fenders on my Rotten orange. They look pretty cool and should work well for riding in the rain when it actually rains here (plus should help keep the bike from throwing rocks at me while offroading).

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
What, you'll actually be riding the 3 days a year that it rains for more than 5min at a time there? :D

I need to get some fenders or something. I'd really like to just get a nice cruiser frame with some fenders.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
HAHAHAHAHA!!! Brakes?
HAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

I went riding today in the rain. Fishing rules when it rains.
10 miles away from home. Full rain gear.
If you have rim brakes forget it.
I have rim brakes front and rear.
If you want to stop in the rain,ride slow to begin with.

pedalpower

Aug 5, 2008
So, I've found myself riding in the rain both yesterday afternoon and this morning.

Yesterday wasn't too bad. I was lucky I started using my jacket yesterday morning, as it would've been sucky without it. It's just a light pullover jacket, but is water resistant. Unfortunately I was just wearing jeans so those got wet. it rained for the first 1/3 of my 8mi trip, but the water on the road did me in for the rest of the way.

This morning I was prepared. I saw it was raining as I was getting ready, so I made some adjustments. Wore some mildly water-resistant pants, a synthetic long-sleeve shirt, and my pullover jacket. Also switched to boots instead of tennis shoes. Threw my jeans in the backpack so I could change at work, and put my sandals in there in case my feet got soaked. Also switched to some amber-lens glasses instead of my dark sunglasses, since it was a bit darker out this morning.

Well, the pants didn't hold up well, I got soaked. Jacket worked wonders as usual. Feet got soaked through the boots as well. I found myself wishing I had something to cover my face like a ski mask or something, and I wish I brought a beanie and gloves. Boy was it cold riding this morning.

The main thing I noticed though - I need fenders. Totally. I think not having fenders caused me to get a lot more wet than I should have.

I used my front and rear lights so there would be no issues seeing me, hopefully they didn't get damaged from the soaking.

I think I need to do something with my air cleaner. It seemed like I would occasionally get water in there or something. I'd be cruising along and all of a sudden I'd have like no power and the motor would bog down. Then after a little bit it's back to normal. Currently the openings in the air cleaner are pointing up.

Summer is starting to draw to a close, so I'm coming up with a list to prepare for less-than-stellar weather.

Fenders. Definitely need fenders.
Make sure motor is sealed well. (magneto, cdi, connections, etc)
Make air cleaner splash-resistant.
Seal up head/tail lights.
Gloves. Find something that will still give you good feeling of the controls.
Face/ears/head covering. Ski mask and beanie possibly.
Make sure to always have amber or yellow or clear lens glasses in the backpack.
Good water proof or resistant jacket.
Good water proof or highly resistant pants.
Shoes or boots that won't let the water in.
A change of clothes in the backpack.

I think that's a decent list if you are heading out and it is raining. The Boy Scout list (always be prepared list :) ) would be something like:

All the motor and bike stuff
Always have amber or yellow or clear glasses on hand
Keep a jacket in the backpack

Anybody got any other tips for riding in inclement weather?
dude, that was one **** of a storm that moved through the area between 4 and 5:30. I watched 2 supercells merge right in front of me. Everyone at work wondered if I survived. My concern about the rain paled to the thought of getting struck by lightning. any water in my air intake didn't seem to affect performance.

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
HAHAHAHAHA!!! Brakes?
HAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!

I went riding today in the rain. Fishing rules when it rains.
10 miles away from home. Full rain gear.
If you have rim brakes forget it.
I have rim brakes front and rear.
If you want to stop in the rain,ride slow to begin with.
that's what i was thinking...i just avoid it and i use my truck:D

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
The brakes weren't too bad really. They lost a little bit of stopping power, but not much.

As for just avoiding the rain....well, we only have one car, and my wife gets it because she has to deal with the public at work and can't change/take a shower at work like I can. Plus, she has the shorter commute, so she gets the gas guzzler (~21mpg city).

I hardly drive the car at all anymore, which is a shame because it's such a fun car to drive (04 SRT-4)

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Rain riding.

1. get hold of good competition style brakepads designed to work in the wet (clarks WRC are the ones I use.). The standard ones are usually worse than useless when wet.

2. As has been mentioned - fenders fenders fenders lol. However for best results these should be the heavy curved cruiser style, they do a better job of directing the rain away from the wheel and down.

3. Always brake from the back - never use the front brake to stop - you may well end up in a pile on the road and thats the best possibility.

4. Wear suitable clothes for the conditions. This includes temperature AND rain. Riding while you are so cold you cant stop shivering is no fun and dangerous.

5. Watch speed - while you can steam along at 35mph on a dry road, 20mph is better for a wet one - especially if its been dry for a long time and then you have had heavy rain.

6. If you cant see - STOP. You arent safe, you may damage yourself and the bike on a obstacle you cant see. There is also the point that you might miss cars and such if your vision is impaired.

7. Lights. If the weather is bad put on lights. In any case there should be no MB machine that isnt fitted with one. Even machines that are generally only used in the day should have them as a matter of course.

Jemma xx

Jemma xx