Rail bike conversion finally finished w/pics

GoldenMotor.com

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
If there are no laws governing this issue (utilizing abandoned rails) why not put a B&S Animal 200+ cc motor on that baby? That should be able to move 2 or 3 people nicely.

We'll need some new smileys for this.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
If there are no laws governing this issue (utilizing abandoned rails) why not put a B&S Animal 200+ cc motor on that baby? That should be able to move 2 or 3 people nicely.

We'll need some new smileys for this.
You sick, sick son of a gun RH, I love it!. (Ya just know this wont end well)

But gonna be funny..... dance1

Last edited:

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Year`s Ago When The Rail Road`s Carried Grain In The Box Cars, They Usually Leaked Grain Along The Tracks. This Drew Wild Life To The Tracks, Good Hunting. When You See Light At The End Of The Tunnel, Hope It`s Not A Train. When I Look Down A Rr Track, It Always Looks Like An Adventure. Good Luck, Have Fun. Ron

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL, "Rippers" Catchy an' cool. I vote we go with that. (then form an international union and try and take over the world or just un used RR tracks)

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
How about the acronym RIPR for railing interested persons?? Worth a shot eh???
Rest In Peace Riders? What?

LOL! I'll do my research on the truly abandoned rails in my area before doing any building.

All in good fun. This stuff will be for the kids. Both young and old.

.shft.

mountain80

Aug 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
Haven't scouted it it but it is at my families farm in British Coloumbia -BC for short,talked to my uncle and the line goes for aproximately 60 miles one way through valleys, wrapping around the edge of a lake an over lots of bridges and through beautiful farmland. It also runs through small towns and villages. I am very familiar with the area having spent lots of time their but the best part is.........wait for it....... the rail line is 75 yards from the farmhouse, thats right, grab a coffe and walk out to the crossing on our property, how much better can you ask for?? I am taking an extra day off just so as I can get up early and do the last adjustments, I am going to be bouncing off the walls in 2 weeks just waitin' to go. If you get on google maps the line goes from somewheres around armstrong up north to sicamous.

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Haven't scouted it it but it is at my families farm in British Coloumbia -BC for short,talked to my uncle and the line goes for aproximately 60 miles one way through valleys, wrapping around the edge of a lake an over lots of bridges and through beautiful farmland. It also runs through small towns and villages. I am very familiar with the area having spent lots of time their but the best part is.........wait for it....... the rail line is 75 yards from the farmhouse, thats right, grab a coffe and walk out to the crossing on our property, how much better can you ask for?? I am taking an extra day off just so as I can get up early and do the last adjustments, I am going to be bouncing off the walls in 2 weeks just waitin' to go. If you get on google maps the line goes from somewheres around armstrong up north to sicamous.
I'd really like to see more people posting here. What you have described is just amazing in many ways.

Rail road people movers is a really great idea. Not my acronym but the original idea. It's a motorized picnic. The kids will love it. It's like camping without having to sleep on the ground. Get out and see your little piece of the world.

.shft.

mountain80

Aug 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
I plan to take the whole day to myself for this adventure, going to pack the camera and lunch and just enjoy this as this is a part of the country very few get to see. I will be taking extra memory cards to capture pictures and small video clips to share with all. Just finished a mileage check tonite with my 4L tank, I'm doing 128mpg so my range is about 110 miles and their are gas stations within 2 minutes of walking distance in the needed areas as I will be starting halfway then go north turn around, go south then back half way again, I will pack my 1 gallon jerry can for insurance as well as a cellphone and my toolkit that is under my seat at all times and includes a spare tube and c02 cartidges. If this works out I will be taking my holidays at this area later on in the summer and doing some camping along the way. I hope this invigorates others to try it, it could be whole new and different experience.

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I hope this invigorates others to try it, it could be whole new and different experience.

Yup.

Good cheap fun while seeing scenery you would never otherwise. How more old school can you get? Let's pass this experience to the little ones.

.shft.

mountain80

Aug 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
The last 2 pieces are finally tig welded, polished and bolted in. These parts are 2 push small obstructions(just in case) to the side of the abandoned railroad and prevent derailment. Still have to keep an eyeout for stuff though. 2 WEEKS TO TESTING TIME!! :)

Attachments

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
M 80, Looking Good, I Bet There Are A Lot Of Member`s Interested As I Am. There Must Be Miles Of Wilderness Rr Track`s Up There. RON .cvlt1

Last edited:

mountain80

Aug 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
NT im not quite following you on the bearing thing. The bearings are actually 25 mm ID and I have machined press fit shouldered bushing to reduce them to 3/8'' diameter so in fact the inner bearings are locked up on the ready rod. If you refer to the initial pictures in this post you will see that their is a rod that sets the height of the guide wheels and locks them in position so they will stay in a static position. All the research I have done states one does not want the guide wheels to move vertically as you lose you're guidance on the rail hence the v shaped "pushers" on the front of each wheel. As far as the weight on the outrigger their is no real need as the bike is set dynamically to about 4 degrees toe in towards the outrigger and is easily adjustable via outrigger vertical tube height. I just thought I would clarify all this as maybe it is not clear in the pictur but thanks for you're input all the same.

Cheers