Question regarding motorized bicycles and bicycle stand

GoldenMotor.com

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
So I got this nice heavy duty bicycle stand but one problem... trying to lift my motorized cruiser bike solo its too heavy to lift high enough to attach the clamp on the stand to it. I live near no one that can help me. Can someone make some suggestions? Thanks!

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Not exactly the same except in application. I use motorcycle hold down straps with hard points screwed into ceiling joists. Takes two, one on the head and one on the seat post tube. Attach the cam strap to the hard point and bike member. Lift one end and draw up the slack. Repeat. I can post a photo Thursday.

Tom

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
Not exactly the same except in application. I use motorcycle hold down straps with hard points screwed into ceiling joists. Takes two, one on the head and one on the seat post tube. Attach the cam strap to the hard point and bike member. Lift one end and draw up the slack. Repeat. I can post a photo Thursday.

Tom
TFR, I have the similar setup to use 1 hoist with 4 lines attached to the bottom block for lifting a shell off my pickup truck. An overhead strong couple of beams are above sharing the stresses. I need to have a weather seal redone. Caulking just can fix what needs replacement.

It has two each of a 2-pulley block, so 4 to:1 ratio for lifting.

Waiting for the weather to dry out though. I only have a carport, not a garage.

================

RN, Something I wondered, if the stand is folded in the up position.

But no pictures yet from you, of the stand and the bike on how it is prohibiting you to attach it to the bike.

If folding the stand in the up position, while it is not yet attached to the bike it presenting a problem, then use a vise to temporarily hold the bike stand. I might have been using bare hands in the past, but not doing that now. I have need of surgery to fix what years of too much wear on one arm did. Windsurfing being probably a good portion of the wear, but wrenching I know had a role in it too.

Another way, I thought of is to have the bike rolled in an area where below the crank is a greater distance from the ground, like a hole dug out on a dirt patch. Make sure to have the bike steadied with lines to trees or something. Have the oblong hole, long enough to fold the stand up, then refill the soil back. It is a Rube Goldberg sort of way, if you know what I mean.

In the past, I was modifying and welding stuff and needed the springs removed from the stand while I welded to it. The modification I was doing was to keeps the bolt attaching it to the bike using more than 1 bolt. A full-face shield while doing this with thick gloves is really required. I used a screwdriver as a lever along with needle nose pliers.
Can take no chances, the spring has quite a resistance that it can be a projectile in an instant!

MT

Reactions: fasteddy

Wevil Kenevil

Mar 4, 2022
Sack a tomatoes California
You might try building some "stairs" or set of steps you can lift one end and place it on a step and then do the same thing in the back and then the front and step it up to where you need it so that the clamp will reach the frame or milk crates even. If you cant make/build or use a hoist.

If you're talking about one of those tripod stand up fold-out clamps for bikes they are not meant for motorized bicycles and you might find it to be a little bit cumbersome.

The best way to get a bicycle to stand is to get one of the ones like the stationary bike A-frame thing that the back axle rods rest in that way you can start your motor with it still standing on the stand and run it under load.

You can find them on Craigslist for like 20 bucks.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: fasteddy

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
So I got this nice heavy duty bicycle stand but one problem... trying to lift my motorized cruiser bike solo its too heavy to lift high enough to attach the clamp on the stand to it. I live near no one that can help me. Can someone make some suggestions? Thanks!
Maybe you can put something under each wheel to get your bike up to the height of your bike stand clamp

Ratchet straps from the rafters in the garage work to lift a bike

Or you can go buy a bike hoist from Harbor Freight for under $20
I use one to hang my E bike in the garage
Of course I beefed it up with stronger pulley wheels and rope to hold more weight

HF bike hoist is rated for 50 lbs and it's got plastic pulley wheels and a cheep rope
and the hanging hooks are riveted on
I changed the pulley wheels to metal and use a stronger rope rated for 150 lbs
I also replaced the rivets with nut's and bolts
My E bike weighs 70 lbs without the battery

But the hoist will suspend your motorbike as is long enough to get it on your bike stand

Pic of my bike hoist
THe 2 extra straps you see in the pic, 1 in the front and 1 in the rear is just for extra safety and piece of mind, This E bike is hanging over a car

Yeah, I got 10' high rafters in the garage
DSCF4122.JPG
DSCF4124.JPG
DSCF4129.JPG
DSCF4132.JPG

I also use a HF bike hoist to lift a 60 lb kayak up to the rafters
Yeah I put a couple extra straps on the kayak too, It's also hanging over a car
Loaded with all that gear it even weighs more

DSCF4126.JPG

OK now I gotta show a fishing pic

Local Favorite, Calico Sea Bass
DSCF5818.JPG

DSCF3004.JPG

Fishing the Kelp beds
DSCF0035.JPG

How about a Leopard Shark
DSCF6397.JPG

Or a Bat Ray
DSCF2612.JPG

Yep, lots of creatures in the ocean

Last edited:

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
noice fishes. Did you make shark tacos?

Reminds me of my ex.... except she had more teeth and a greater sucking capacity and was twice as deadly...
I make Calico Sea Bass Tacos

The sharks and I have an understanding
I don't eat shark and shark don't eat me

I'm not fishing for shark, they just always get hooked up
I let the sharks go unhurt

Last edited: