Question on Mounting/Dismounting Friction Drive

GoldenMotor.com

nmbiking

Aug 11, 2022
HI,

I have been reading this forum for a while and just joined today. You all seem like a knowledgeable bunch, so I thought I'd ask this here.

How hard is it to mount/dismount a Staton rear wheel friction drive kit bike? I am considering modifying a hybrid style road bike with a standard bar height/frame geometry (Trek 7300). I typically swing my right leg over the seat as I coast to a stop, but this won't be an option with the motor mounted. My concern is tilting the bike will be difficult with the added weight of the motor/drive hardware. I have somewhat limited range of motion in my legs/chronic knee pain.

Conversely, has anyone used a lowstep bike (like a Trek Verve) to avoid this problem? Would that style of frame be strong enough to handle the extra rear weight?

Thanks for any input/help!

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
If you seriously have trouble swinging your leg over a standard bicycle?, you will definitely have trouble with the new engine being in the way... You should use a 'step through' style bike.

Any step through style frame should be strong enough for those little rear engines.