Problem with tire on rear wheel

GoldenMotor.com

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
So recently had a flat and had to replace the inner tube. No problem. Put the new one in, put air in the tire, it was fine and even went for like a 20-30 minute ride. Came back tire was still fine. Next morning I come out and the wheel with the new tube is flat again. I'm stumped. What else could cause this? What else other than the obvious can i check? Anyone else had this problem?

Reactions: fasteddy

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
So recently had a flat and had to replace the inner tube. No problem. Put the new one in, put air in the tire, it was fine and even went for like a 20-30 minute ride. Came back tire was still fine. Next morning I come out and the wheel with the new tube is flat again. I'm stumped. What else could cause this? What else other than the obvious can i check? Anyone else had this problem?
First find the hole in the inner tube and match it up with the tire and check for shrapnel by running you fingers inside the tire and feel for anything poking thru,
If the hole in the tube is on the bottom rim side it's probably a spoke poking thru
Also make sure there isn't anything loose in the tire (dirt, pebble, etc

Don't forget to check that valve core is tight and not leaking
Spit on it or use soap & water and watch for bubbles coming outta the valve stem (valve core)
If it's leaking air, take the valve core out and spit on that too and put it back in
sometimes that little O ring in the valve core just needs a little lubrication to keep it from slowly leaking, Or replace it if necessary

Most of all, inspect your tire for shrapnel, glass, thorn, wire, etc
BTW never use a flat head screwdriver as a tire lever it can easily pinch and poke a hole in the tube

Last edited:

Oldbiscuit

Oct 3, 2020
Or maybe you are getting cheap inner tubes. I’ve had to replace several tubes that wouldn’t show a leak when pressurized and submerged under water, yet the rubber was just porous enough to leak down over time.

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
I know when I took the wheel apart I did happen to run my fingers along the inside of the tire. The inner tube I installed was The Specialized brand that has the slime in it bought at a local bike shop. After taking the old tube out, I had found what did look like a tiny piece of wire in the tire. I removed it all as far as I can tell. Could not feel anymore snags etc after that. So I'm guessing I got it all. I plan to take it apart again later today to check it out a second time. Is it possible some of the slime is preventing the valve from completely closing? I'll see if I find something, and I'll leak test it too.

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Wrench and Venice have both offered good advice. Ob and I think alike.
My preferred inner tube is the Goodyear brand.
Pinching tubes when mounting tires is a ever present concern. I lube my inner tubes with talcum powder, and once the tire is mounted, with the stem valve removed I inflate the tire several times to let the inner tube slide into the tire carcass. Insert the stem valve and inflate to the desired pressure.

Tom

Reactions: Oldbiscuit

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Tire spoons with spoke lock notches are the way to go.
My first set were in a Raleigh roll up tool kit which I still have.
Bought from a Raleigh bicycle shop in Aurora, Illinois 1974? Shop owners daughter was kinda cute.

Tom

Reactions: PeteJ

Rusty_Nail

Oct 11, 2019
I just found those tire irons on amazon and ordered them. Only like $11 shipped. I got a set of five.

wrench

Aug 20, 2019
So Cal
Sold at Walmart, 2 for $5 Made in USA "Fifty Strong"
DSCF4233.JPG

Nice big wide levers, These won't bend like other cheep plastic tire levers
DSCF4247.JPG

Last edited:

PeteJ

Apr 27, 2023
Tire spoons with spoke lock notches are the way to go.
My first set were in a Raleigh roll up tool kit which I still have.
Bought from a Raleigh bicycle shop in Aurora, Illinois 1974? Shop owners daughter was kinda cute.

Tom
I never knew that and I always wondered what the hook end was for. Thanks a lot
Spoons work to.