Picture of Quenton's new proto-type

GoldenMotor.com

Youngbird

Vendor
Dec 2, 2008
Longneck, DE
It kinda looks like a meatloaf pan glued to the engine side cover. I sure hope thats just camoflage before the unveiling. I really hope so..bld.

Hi Youngbird, You are correct, the cover was made to hide the drive system. The production systems will be cosmeticly correct. Althought the actual drive system will stay the same, the cover & the mounting system have been re-designed. Only 4 systems were produced for the early testing phase. My proto-type has 815 miles on it, and is 100% bullet proof. Hopefully the weather will allow additional testing in the next few days [only 28 here today].

Hi Weedylot, sorry but the motor isn't a Honda, however some of the proto-types being tested on the west coast are in fact using the optional Honda GHX50 motors.

Have fun,
Quenton
EZ Motorbike Company , Inc.

Youngbird

Vendor
Dec 2, 2008
Longneck, DE
Man Quenton, thats great. We are all patiently(sic) waiting for a great new 4 stroke drive system, but I would need to draw the line if it meant having bakeware attached to the engine. All joking aside....the news sounds wonderful so far. Good luck with further testing while I sit on the edge of my chair.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Quinton I am looking froward to the new drive system. I have built a few bikes lately for the lads in the area, and I have to say that I am just about done with all the work you have to do to get them working. I have only seen and ran one of the clone Honda's, but it ran better out of the box than any of the happy time engines. One thing I have had trouble with lately is the fact that the motor mounts for the happy will not adjust for all the different frames that are out there, especially the Schwinn stile, and that is my favorite. I do like the motorcycle look engines. Good work, looks like a winner. Have fun, Dave

PS: Love the flex header pipe. You know how they work like a muffler.

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I think I have figured out what you are using. I think it is a cogged belt from the engine, a secondary centrifugal clutch on the jack shaft, then a chain drive to the rear wheel, with as small as possible drive sprocket and as large as possible driven sprocket. I can see a mount on the seat stay to hold the jack shaft. The ability to move it up and down the tube would assist the chain adj. The engine moves forward and back to adj. the cogged belt. This will be nice as the only thing dragging with the engine off is the rear chain. The secondary clutch will work like the Whizzer in that it will give you a higher revving take off. This will be nice if it can be kept at the cost of the Happy time bikes.

Hi Egor,
The mount you see going to the seat down tube is an extra mount to stabilize the drive train and the motor. The motor doesn't move after it is mounted. While it is true we are talking to Max Torque about an automatic clutch, we haven't reached our goal in both price point and ratios. I will tell you that everyone that has riden and actually viewed the system was amazed. And most responded "it is so simple, why didn't I think of that". Another comment often heard was "there isn't anything that can go wrong in there".
The output shaft is totally suspended with high speed bearing and totally self contained in system.

Have fun,
Quenton

Youngbird

Vendor
Dec 2, 2008
Longneck, DE
Man....my head hurts from all the teasing and second guessing. Come on Quenton....lets see , pretty please!!!! I hope they are out soon so I can put one on my new trike build..trk

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
I think my system is simple, I imagined the belt drive to keep the noise down. The chain for the final drive to make it non slipping. So the drive must be attached to the motor platform. I do know that your system is simple. It could have a clutch on the engine but that makes a lot of noise unless it is belt driven, that has a hard time with the belt pressure tension. Are you using the engine slots for the initial chain or belt adj? If that is a brace for the mount then you were concerned with the drive pulling the mount out of alignment! I built a belt-chain drive like I am describing. You pull the clutch handle in and it takes an idler wheel off the drive belt, it is under the system to stay out of the torque. It works well and still gives you the feeling of a real clutch. Have fun, Dave

PS: You can see the cable that goes to the handlebar lever. Made this 12 years ago. I will restore this Bonanza minibike someday..cptr.

Attachments

Last edited:

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Quinton - Is there a chance that you will be able to get a custom engine of your own. I think the Honda clone is a good engine but it has all the casting marks to accommodate all the generators and pumps it is installed in. That is OK but we need a clean looking engine that looks like it is made for us. It would be cool if the engine was canted forward with the deflectors missing as we don't need them (our engines are out in the wind) I know that China is in trouble with exports slumping, I wonder if they would be more inclined to fit out an engine more for us. Have fun, Dave

Latest picture of the proto-type. 972 miles and zero, none, nada, problems. Raced a stock [almost] Whizzer last week. I let him take off first and when he was approx. 10 feet in front, I passed him. At the end of 1 mile I was ahead by several bike lengths and both bike topped at 37 MPH. Not bad for a 49 CC OHV against a 138 CC Whizzer.

Have fun,
Quenton

Attachments

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Quinton - Looks good. And glad to hear that it is a go, straight away. Will you offer the larger tank with your kit, it just look better. I know that is a Whizzer tank but there is a larger kit tank also. Gives you a place to do some nice paint work. Have fun, Dave

Attachments

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
Are you planning on offering this as a kit or complete bike? I sure like your work. After the great job on my whizzer motor I know your work is first rate. A 49cc 4 cycle going 37 is impressive.

Hi Egor & Lennyharp,

We hope to offer the larger tank in later kits as we have discussed it with our supplier.
For now we can only offer the kits, but plan to offer a complete motorbike in the future.
When we offer the complete motobike we must submit for DOT, EPA, and CARB approval. We have located several nice heavy duty bicycles and plan to offer them via the dealer network. The bicycle and motor kit can be sold as individual units, but can not assemble them without going through the proper channels.

Have fun,
Quenton