Phatmoto Rover II Hybrid Check Ride

GoldenMotor.com

Davideo

Feb 25, 2020
Just took my new Phatmoto Hybrid bike for a test ride today around the neighborhood mostly using the electric system and pedal power for propulsion. I did do a short section using gas and pedal power when the opportunity arose, just as a test of that part of the system. Observations: Chain noise and drag where noticeable during engine off conditions; Pedal assist is far too powerful at this point, there is no way to control its effect with the system I have and the only check I have on my speed short of applying brakes is to stop pedaling or backpedal also I have found that the application of electric throttle will cancel pedal assist; Under gas power the engine has a tendency to quit at the most inopportune time, at stop signs, traffic lights or just coasting with the throttle closed. I am still searching for the solution to the stalling problem. Possible causes are: Lack of venting of fuel tank; engine still tight (less than 5 kilometers); engine idle set too low or, fuel mixture too lean.

Reactions: indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
It's the process: ride, change, ride and repeat till complete.

I find pedal assist a joke, but legal necessity to some. I like two throttles with no pedal sensor. Some noise from a home built chain drive hybrid is exactly what I'd expect. Drag is offset with two motors and both legs & it helps under braking conditions.

Stalling at bad times, but thank goodness for the electric in traffic to get you out of harms way in a hurry. I never turn it off during a ride...just in case. New gas motors often take some sorting.

I think you've a very nice hybrid and it will sort out.

Rick C.

Last edited:
Reactions: Davideo

Davideo

Feb 25, 2020
Thanks, good advice Rick. My Hybrid is now temporally an E-Bike because I had to remove the engine due to a bad squealing clutch and now have to wait for a new clutch to be delivered. I preparation for my ride today I disconnected the pedal assist sensor and relied solely on the electric throttle to get me up the hills, I averaged 13 kph which was fast enough on the twisting gravel trail strewn with fallen branches and the odd patch of melting ice. I am happy to say it was a much more enjoyable ride with the pedal assist disabled.

Reactions: indian22

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Sorry 'bout the clutch, but glad you got out on E alone and had some fun. I think you will find more confidence especially at slower speeds with the pedal assist disabled. It's best to take it slow with front hub on loose surfaces, not much weight up front so traction is dubious, but normally you would have the gas engine taking care of those situations along with pedal power and judicious use of the front hub. The combination can get you down some bad roads when you get the feel for it and the bike is working well.

Rick C.

Reactions: Davideo