pennsylvania laws?

GoldenMotor.com

onesikschwinn

Mar 21, 2008
souderton,PA
does anyone know anything about PA's laws to riding these bikes? i dont really want to have to go through getting a title and all that, i just want to ride!(c)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
No I would call the local pa dept of motor vehicles. Actually I didn't read the regs just saw it on another forum. Why not google it up and read them carefully there might be a loophole. But from what I read on the other forum there didn't seem to be one.

onesikschwinn

Mar 21, 2008
souderton,PA
alright sounds good im always up for trying to find a loophole. One possibly being that these chinese 2-strokes dont have the size engraved in them.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Yes that is how mine is classified as a moped in my mind. but it looks as though mopeds have to be registered up there. Even electric bikes as it seems.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
from my understanding pa is the strictest state out thier. if it were me i would ride and enjoy and worry about it when i got pulled over. i know this is bad advice but as i have said before 95% of the police out thier have know idea if thier is a law on them or not unless they have been asked and they had to look it up. if you are not out raising heck and disturbing the peace and things like that i think you will be left alone

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
How far away from Ohio do you live? All we need here is a valid drivers lisence and operate within three feet of the edge of the road. I live within one mile of PA, but I've never had a problem riding in either state, even through what would qualify as a city 'round here.

onesikschwinn

Mar 21, 2008
souderton,PA
yea, the exhaust i have on the bike does a pretty good job on disturbing the peace. It has a straight pipe on it. I rode the bike to my work the one day which is not even a block away, when i parked it in the garage I walked back outside and the cops were circling the block.hahaha

onesikschwinn

Mar 21, 2008
souderton,PA
I live near Philadelphia, the complete opposite side of you Bikeguy Joe. I will have to try riding my new bike around town. its not going to be as loud, I think.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I went to breakfast today with my wife in HER car. There was a moped outside. We left at the same time as the moped rider. His little moped sounded just like my bike. I figure I'm no worse then him so I'm okay noise wise.

johnbro7

May 16, 2008
pittsburgh
does anyone know anything about PA's laws to riding these bikes? i dont really want to have to go through getting a title and all that, i just want to ride!(c)
I checked into the laws and it sucks. They want you to get insurance and register the bike, but in order to register it you need a title. And in order to get a title you have to have it inspected for safe road operations, which I cannot find a place that will even do this.

johnbro7

May 16, 2008
pittsburgh
(^)well for what it is worth you might as well ride it. I've been seen by several cops and have not been stopped. I wave to them and a couple even lauged at the bike. Even the skate boards with motors on them have to be registered in this screwy state.rotfl

Fast eddiee

May 1, 2013
Philly
Whats up with PA? We cant buy more than 2 six packs to
go at a bar, cant buy booze in the supermarket, cant buy
liquor and beer at the same store, and now we have to
register motorized bicycles? Im moving to Jersey.

MTB Moto

Dec 4, 2009
USA
In Pa if your on the road you have to be registered, no matter what you ride, cost me 1000 bucks to do up a dirt bike that I wanted to ride on the road to get to the trails!

I don't know about other states, but driving in Pa is a privilege not a right. I would imagine it stems from Pa being a mandatory insurance carrying state. If you have an accident with your motorized bicycle and you do damage to another persons vehicle or property and your road legal your covered. Which does give ya piece of mind that you won't be sued and loose your home and belongings. At least with insurance only your rates might go up.

I'm not in any way an insurance salesman, but the old days of reaching in your pocket to fix what you have damaged are gone forever, or at least until the asteroid hits...LOL.

Sorry for the bad news fellas!